Can Anyone Help Me Here

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by OneLuvIbanez, Aug 29, 2001.

1. OneLuvIbanez

OneLuvIbanez Guest

Jul 28, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    OK, Ive been playing bass now consistanly for about 4 months, all together though i have been playing for about a year, but bout 4 months consistanatly practicing. I am pretty much self taught, i never really had the money for lessons, and i didnt pay for my first ever bass. My thing though, I picked up on playing very quickly, i do not know many scales, but i can play a song within an hour of just listening to it. What my main problem is, is i cant get my fingerstyle to increase in speed along with my fretboard hand, if that makes any sense. i can do it with a pick, and can even keep up with RHCP songs, and am very creative on my own stuff, but i just cant get my playing hand to move fast enough, i try to compare where im at along with friends who also play, and they seem to be able to get faster. Thoguh they've been playing for longer time, they say im at the point they were after playing for bout 9 months.

Does anyone here have any tips on how I can improve my fingerstyle, maybe even my Slap and pick also? i think the problem might have lied in me trying to learn to many styles at one time, I incorperate Slap, fingerstyle, Pick, Slap n Pick and tapping(the style the bassist from Primus uses) into all my music, But id like to hear what you all have to think, I Appreciate any info that would help me at all. Much love & Respect to all bass players out there, We are a rear breed.:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :confused: :confused: :confused:
  2. APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    Please do not include me in your gang - I assure you, I am not "a rear breed" - maybe you should check out the thread on farting!

Seriously, all anyone can suggest is keep practicing, as many styles as often as possible - good luck, it's definitely worth the effort!
  3. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Welcome to Talkbass OneGlove,

I must state that I, also, am not a rear breed, but respect the lifestyle.

That being said, there was a lot to address in your post, but I'll keep it on point. You mention that you want to increase your fingerstyle speed. Sorry, no quick fix, no magic potions, and no cure-all, just good old fashioned practice practice practice. It really will come with time. There are things you can do though:

1) speed comes through playing slow. before being able to play fast, you must be able to play slow. nature's rules danielson, not mine. play a song or pattern very slowly, until all nuances are solid; meter, articulation, attack, etc. then play the same drill, increase the 'nome to 60bpm, then 70bpm, then 80bpm, and so on.

2) scales can really be utilized here. just play your scales according to the thoughts in step #1. i'll embellish on this and other things, but sorry, i have to run right now. i'll come back to this and add in a little bit.
  4. OneLuvIbanez

OneLuvIbanez Guest

Jul 28, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    OK, Sorry bout the whole Rare Breed thing, just where im from, Bassist arent easy to come by, everyone wants to be the famouse Guitarist, or Drummer, i hope ya know what i mean, Sorry if offended anyone here, i didnt mean it in a bad way, with me i see playing bass as more like an extansion of myself, i can express more on a bass than i ever could on a guitar, i love the deepness to it and everything, I think you all would know what i mean. About the whole 'Nome thing, i really have no clue about all that, i guess i have alot i need to learn, and i should find a Teacher around me, do you think that would be wise, or would i be better off tryin this myself, i appreciate any responses you could have. If anyone knows any one who teaches bass at all in chicago, and isnt to expensive, id love to know. Thnx EVERYONE.
  5. Rear breed? Hmmm, my wife calls me an a*s once in a while - Does that make me a rear-breed?

Seriously though, get yourself a teacher. You don't need to spend tons of money on lessons, but find someone who can guide you NOW while you're still in the learning stages. If you go too far without that 'guidance', you're as good as lost. Well, maybe not, but it will be all that much more difficult to get things right after you've developed the bad habits (which you likely will if you go at it alone).