Can anyone help me out with some distortion questions?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by HWK2, Sep 7, 2000.

1. Now, as much I really play bass for the wonderfull down lows and the great jazz music, that with some practice I will be able to play very well, but in the meantime, I have friends who play guitar and a dad (myself being 16) who is very cool and plays/played drums, and my friends aren't excactly into the whole jazz scene. It is harcore punk and metal for them. No to the root of my real questions... One: I know (or would assume) that everyone has had a combo amp, something small to practice on, that you would never take out of the house, even on a bet :) and so do I. it is a ;) VERY ;) small Squier sidekick GUITAR :mad: amp. I can push that wonderfull button that gives it a whopping 20db boost, and I get the most godawful buzzing noise, and the bass now sounds like a truck on the highway, than a musical instrument. Now, I know, because I listen to alot of metal and punk that you can distort a bass and still hear the actual music behind it.. Does that mean that there is some special "bass distortion" pedal? If so... can anyone think of any good ones?

My other question: Is there anyway to distort the bass without the 10-20db boost in volume? I know that I can adjust the volume knob, but then my above problem goes from a truck to a 747 at takeoff musicly. This is not cool at all. :eek:

Ok, ok, I know this is a LONG post, but I am a beginner, and have yet to take a lesson in the 5 monthes I have owned my bass. So, if anyone can take some pitty on lowly ole' me and help me out, I'd appreciate it :cool:
  2. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Hi HWK2,
    The 1st thing I would do if I were you, would be to get rid of the guitar combo amp and get yourself a bass combo amp. Your getting all that "nasty" distortion because the speaker isnt designed to handle the bass frequencies. One of 2 things will enevitably happen, you will either blow the voice coil and/or the speaker.
    Now to address your question, theyre are bass distortion pedals and effects processors you can buy. One of them is the DOD Bass 30, this is a foot controled signal processor, it has 5 bass amp models, 9 fretless simulators, 9 synth bass simulations (most of which have distortion), a 4-band programable eq, (which if you set right will give you some distortion), built in bi-amp capabilities, and it also has 14 programable digital effects, as well as an assignable expression pedal. You can get one of these for about $150.
    Or you can purchase a good ol fashioned stomp box. Boss makes a pretty good one, Its the ODB-3 Bass OverDrive. These pedals cost about $80. In my honest opinion your better off getting the DOD Bass 30, you get alot more for you money out of them. For the same cost that youd pay for 2 stomp boxes, and I think the longevity of the processors are longer and that they sound alot better too. But thats just my opion.
  3. I have the Boss ODB3 and I love it. I'm able to get a great range of distortion sounds from it. Later.

Woofy Out!
  4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I realize you're saying "just my opinion", and sound is subjective, so I won't go into that, but...

As far as longevity goes, I have a few Boss stompboxes that are about 20 years old and still going strong!