Can anyone help me re assemble the speakon connector on my amp? (Picture)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bpclay1, May 24, 2017.

1. bpclay1

bpclay1

Jul 3, 2014
    This fell apart... i assume it just busted out because it was stuffed all together... i can't for the life of me figure out how it all fits in there. These prod type things.. do i need them? They seem to just extend the wires, but it really doesn't seem like the fit in the assembly. Maybe its just a puzzle beyond my comprehension... also, they were inserted in the +2 and -2. Does the red (other wire is black) wire go in the +2? Its a 3×10 kustom combo. 20170524_194545.jpg 20170524_194545.jpg

2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    I've never seen a speakon do that before. I would replace the connector rather than attempt to repair it.

Rattman, wcriley and Passinwind like this.
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

Yeah that's destroyed. Replace the whole thing. Those 'prods' you see sticking out are what are supposed to be up in the 'nozzle' of the connector and are what actually make the internal connection when you insert it.

The +/-2 connectors are not used, what you have in your hand are the +/-1 connections, which have been yanked out.

Bugeyed Earl likes this.
  4. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

never realized there's that much metal in there
    impressive!

5. Agreed, buy a new connector, and unscrew the old cable from the "prods" on the left side of the photo, attach them to the new connector, and you're back in business.

6. bpclay1

bpclay1

Jul 3, 2014
    Its all so clear now! Thank you all for the help. That was driving me crazy. I'll get a new one and start fresh.

Passinwind and beans-on-toast like this.
  7. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    In order to have the phase correct, normally the black wire is the return, speakon [-1], the other wire is [+1]. I don't know if this is the standard that Kustom adopted.

Don't solder the wire ends, simply twist the strands together and attach them to the terminal. There are assembly instructions on the Neutrik web site.

NL4FRX - Neutrik

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  8. dlb1001

dlb1001

Jan 30, 2007
    Yeah, just replace it. Looks like someone either yanked it out or dropped the cabinet, with cable still connected.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022