Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can Anyone Help me With A Feedback problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by reveille_509, Sep 27, 2000.

1. reveille_509

reveille_509

Aug 17, 2000
    I recently bought a new bass (Jackson Concert) and I am very happy with my purchase, but I keep getting this feedback and the only way I know of to stop it is to put my finger on the volume and tone knobs. Is there an easier way to stop this feedback, I can only hear it when I turn my amp up. I dont get this feedback with my fender so im not really sure what its coming from. can anyone help me prevent this feedback?

Thank You

2. This sounds like your bass is not properly grounded, or shielded.

3. JerryH

JerryH

Dec 13, 1999
    Helsinki, Finland
    Hmmmm....

New bass, but it could be the pick ups have some lose windings and they cause such problems - though it is more like the bass screaming not typical feedback?!?

The cure for this can be "hot wax dip"!!! Sounds horrible, but is really effective way.

Hope this helps,
    JerryH

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Feedback is a loop where a noise gets very loud within milliseconds and is a high pitched, painful squeal.

If you're able to stop the noise your bass is making by touching metal parts on the bass, I believe that what you're describing is hum, not feedback.

If it is indeed hum, Mesa Man is on the right track.

Your bass is either not shielded properly or is not grounded.

5. reveille_509

reveille_509

Aug 17, 2000
    I guess my problem is that it hums but then how would I fix the grounding or shielding???

6. JerryH

JerryH

Dec 13, 1999
    Helsinki, Finland
    OK. so it huuuuummmmmmmssssss!

Normally there should be some grounding wire(s) from the plug ground to the bridge. If this is become lose or the soldering is gone or done bad (it happens bro! - some cold solder joints look good but they sure don't work properly for electricity). Also one very efficient point is shielding the cavities of the pick ups and there are some usefull stuff on Lane Poor's pages (www.lanepoor.com) plus the "hot wax dip" (also described at Lane Poor).
    Keep on browsing and eyes wide shut open!

Am I confusing fellow bassists here!!!!

Hope this gets you to right tracks,
    JerryH

[Edited by JerryH on 09-29-2000 at 02:32 AM]

7. reveille_509

reveille_509

Aug 17, 2000
    I just found out that when I use my Nady wireless system I dont Get any hum. So would that mean that my cables are just junk?

8. Might be, or the wireless has got something to cancel hum. Try other cables to find out. Good Luck!