1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can anyone help me?:)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Modern_Myth, May 18, 2011.

1. Modern_Myth

Modern_Myth

May 18, 2011
    Hi everybody, this is my first post on TB and also the first time on changing my strings, so i was just wondering if anybody could help me?

I play mostly rock-metal and i 90% of the time use a pick.
    So far i've been doing a little research and wanted to try Ernie ball Power Slinky Bass Nickel Wound .055 - .110 strings?

Just wondering if these are good strings for the genres of music i play and possibly your experiences with the strings?
    Also i'd glady take recommendations on other strings?:)

Thank you all in advance :bassist:

2. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Well, the bad news is: strings are pretty personal and it would take more information to give any informed advice about string choices. Also, your own string preferences may change over years of playing. Mine certainly have. There are many variables that can end up affecting which strings you end up using. There's not really any such thing as a "good for rock-metal with a pick" string. It comes down to what you like.

The good news is: strings aren't a big investment, so you can try a bunch of types and slowly narrow down what you like and don't like about each. Once you're armed with that information, the knowledge base here at TB could help you narrow things down even further. It's a slow process, so just enjoy the experimentation.

For now, I'd say go ahead and try the Slinky's and see how they work out. Since you're just starting out, you don't have much to compare them to so they are as good a place to start as any.

3. RickeyC

RickeyC

Jan 17, 2011
    Arkansas
    ^^^^^ +1 What he said :)

4. +1 to Lo-E but, i use the 5 string set of those for Pop/Rock/Punk/Metal and they sound awesome, nice and snappy, but that may not be the sound you are after, your best bet is to try some.

Liam

5. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Ernie Ball makes fine bass strings. So do lots of other manufacturers.

Because of the BIG differences in basses, pickups, preamps, amps, cabinets, venues, as well as what you want your sound to be, only you can determine which strings sound the best for you. Unfortunately, this is a trial and error process unless you find someone who has exactly the sound you want AND has the same technique as you, the same bass, the same preamp, the same amp, the same cabinet(s), plays the same venues, etc.

That being said, the nickel roundwounds are somewhat mellower sounding than the stainless roundwounds. This is generally true for all brands of strings. If you are going for the brightest sound possible, I would suggest you start with stainless wound strings and if they are too bright-sounding for you, make your next set of strings nickel.

If, however, you have heard other bassists who you think sound TOO bright and you think you definitely want a somewhat darker sound, then maybe you should start with a set of nickels.

And, of course, the sound will be different when you first put the strings on than it will be after a few hours of playing. And then the sound will stay more or less the same for a while - several weeks to several months, depending on how often you play, how acidic your perspiration is, etc. Then the strings will start to sound duller, less bright. Then you will need to change them again. If you're perfectly satisfied with the sound the strings gave you, replace them with exactly the same strings. If not...well, I told you it is a trial and error process!

Welcome to TB!

6. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Ernie Ball's are just fine and if you don't know yet exactly what your preferences are, they're not terribly expensive and sound better than D'Addarios or GHS', etc. IMO.

7. dwm74

dwm74

Nov 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    scottbass has a lot of pertinent info in his post.

IME, Ernie Ball's were too 'zingy' for me (same with GHS Boomers), and I prefer D'addario Nickels, which are more mellow, and settle in very nicely.

(FWIW, I also play metal/hard rock, but use my fingers...no pick)

8. Modern_Myth

Modern_Myth

May 18, 2011
    sorry for the late response :p

Just to thank all of you for your answers!
    I went with the strings i originally said and i love them!
    But, as you say, i'll be sure to try other strings to find the ones that i prefer,

thank you again! :D