Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can anyone here actually play Jaco Pastorius solos?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by DriveThruEmoKid, Jun 15, 2003.

1. Because i sure can't. Can anyone here play any of his solos?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There's a good book called "A Portrait of Jaco - the solos collection" which has transcriptions and analysis (Hal Leonard publishing - written by Sean Malone) - this is very helpful for learning some of the harder parts, understanding what Jaco was actually doing and is just fun to look through.

:)

3. its actually funny that you say that. 20 minutes ago i bought that book online :)

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I've learned a bunch of Jaco songs, but I've always stopped when it come sto the solo...that's his thing, I don't care to learn it.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  6. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    I enjoy playing Amerika and Continuum. I'm too lazy to sit down and learn Donna Lee, P of T, and those. I will though.

Regards

LA

7. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    When I was in college I learned all of his version of "Donna Lee" for my private lessons. It was one of my quarter goals to be able to play all the way through it. Never got it *quite* up to speed, the triplet sixteenth note runs in the (2nd?) chorus were the biggest problem I hit. I was somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-10 bpm off of his tempo at my best. Whoopee.

A funk band I used to play in did "Come On, Come Over". THAT was fun.

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Come on, come over is a funky song....great jam.

9. I can play Continuum and some of P of T. But these alone are hard enough. Ill try to give "Donna Lee" a shot in a few years, Might have the chops by then.

10. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Why not start on it now? It's good to challenge yourself. So what if it seems completely unattainable right now. You may surprise yourself if you dedicate the time into it that it requires.

11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Psht...I learned donna lee in a week. :p

12. Well I...I.. JUST SHUT UP!!!:mad:

;)

13. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    The head was the easy part... learning all of his solo was the hard part.

14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah, prolly, I'll never know, I don't care to learn the solos as I mentioned before.

15. genesis6891

genesis6891

May 29, 2003
    His 'solo' section in Continuum is lovely stuff, I know that, and also his solo in Bright Size Life - but quite frankly that one's piss!

I've learnt Opus Pocus, Portrait of Tracy, Teen Town and Donna Lee by ear all within a couple of weeks -but I second what someone else said.

"I've learned a bunch of Jaco songs, but I've always stopped when it come sto the solo...that's his thing, I don't care to learn it."

I know almost all of Jaco's big tunes, but whereas sometimes I will learn some of the solo because it sounds simply wonderful, it is always important to add your own dimension to any song. I'm only 17 btw - I'm really not trying to sound patronising, tis just my view!

16. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah, continuum is probably my favorite.

well maybe not, but I really really really really dig that song, such a great composition.

I wouldn't mind learning that solo.

17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Hey, there are exceptions to ever rule(or guideline):p

I personally, wouldn't mind learning continuum's solo section, or at least parts of it,because it is prolly my favorite jaco song, but for the most part, I really don't care to learn his solos.

18. All I can play is Havonna....

20. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Jaco. . .
    Such a visionary artist! I love his music and his spirit, and out of respect to him I refuse to play that way any more. I consider myself a "recovering Jaco clone", as he was a huge influence on me (a very long time ago).

Not to diss people who learn his stuff -what better source for great electric bass studies? I just feel that it's important to make your own contribution.

I try to get my students to transcribe and learn from a lot of different players, even on different instruments. Some are big Jaco fans, and that's cool, but only for a while, then the work of finding uniqueness has to start.

Rant over!
    Laurence:bag: