Can anyone here read ancient Greek?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by dancehallclasher, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    My sister reads and writes ancient greek and ancient latin very proficiently, she's been studying it for the better part of 3 or 4 years. I'd ask her, but she's in egypt right now.
  2. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    The Greek alphabet is not hard to learn. Do you have a classics background at all? Ancient Greek is quite different from modern Greek. It is somewhat similar to Latin in its rules of grammar and syntax.

EDIT: My high school used the textbook "ATHENAZE." It's a pretty good introduction. Click here.
  3. My friend is studying greek mythology (and possibly history) in college I could see if he would know.

Side note/question: Does anyone know how to read what I think is Aramaic? I have an old(ish) medalion thing that was my grandmother's and I want to know what it says on it. I searched for a while to find any lanugaes that looked similar, and the closest I came was a site that had some aramaic. A few letters translated, but not many :meh: I haven't tried finding a translation for it in about a year...I still would like to, but don't know where to look.
  4. Hey, I can help you out with the Aramiac. I'm not fluent so no promises. If you wanna e-mail me some pics PM me and I'll give you my e-mail address. Peace.
  5. i only took 1 year of latin in high school. so ancient greek has all the declensions and stuff? oy, i hate that.
  6. I need to get ahold of a digital camera first. My dad has one I could use. I don't know how well of a picture I could get, but when i get one I will PM you and ask for your email. Thanks. If you don't get a PM in a week, I forgot all about it :rolleyes:

I should be able to have the pic by the end of the weekend if not tonight or tomorrow. :cool:
  7. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It's all greek to me.

brad cook
  8. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Yep, declensions, conjugations, all that fun stuff. Plus ancient Greek has articles (absent in Latin) as well as an extra mood (or two? I can't remember off the top of my head). It's been about 8 years since I last read ancient Greek so I'm really rusty. I found it more difficult than Latin.

You could also check out the Loeb Classical Library-- they are translations of the classics with the original language on the left hand pages, and the immediate English translation on the opposite right hand pages. So you can sort of follow along in the original language if you want. Borders or Barnes & Noble usually carry some of them. Or look here.

I need to get back into reading Latin. It's been too long...
  9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Man, I was at this big interschool conference on racism, world economy, etc. and met this 14 year old irish kid that goes to the Catholic system that claimed to be able to decipher any language as long as it had a base in sanscrit or latin. During a lecture on evolution from this ancient hippy that no one understood at all (it was supposed to be on racism in our local community), he started writing me notes in arabic :eek: . Man, that kid was strange. Good guy, though.
  10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im half greek but the most I could do is tell you that spanicopitta is a tasty spinache pie.

I probably mispelt that.
  11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    bunch of smartypants. :hyper: :eyebrow:
  12. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I bought some of those frozen from Sam's club. They weren't too bad really.

brad cook
  13. I don't know any Greek other than some of the alphabet and only a little Aramaic, am I still a smarty pants? :D
  14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Oh god thats terrible dude.

Ill admit I havent had the frozen kind, but there is no way that can compare to some that are made fresh from scratch.
  15. Don't dis Sam's Club :cool:

But that kind of goes without saying. Anything made fresh from scratch (done well) tastes better then frozen.
  16. No PM yet. I WANNA PM!!!! All the cool kids get them... damm cool kids.:spit:
  17. sorry I guess I should just go buy my own digital camera. I will look for the paper I copied the stuff down to so it is easier to read(?) and a picture of that would probably allow you to see the symbols (small, dirty, old, silver amulet thing=hard to see in photos). Tomorrow I have to do some shoping so I might get a camera then. Once I do I will PM you right after I take some stupid pictures and some for profile and what not...I have to take one with my monkey mask :p

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I am fimilar with some of the Ancient Greek symbols of the early Church.
  19. The anciend Greek alphabet is very logical and easy to learn.