Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can anyone I dentify this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stiff10k, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Stiff10k

Stiff10k

Aug 15, 2005
    Odd request I know, I picked up this little guy on ebay for a lousy few bucks.

Brand new, Made in China/korea most likely.

[​IMG]

Oh, and Hi. :)

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

The headstock looks Fodera-ish! It may be a custom job. Does it have any markers of any kind on the body or neck? s/n# maybe?

3. Stiff10k

Stiff10k

Aug 15, 2005
    No markings what so ever. Its driving me around the bend, especially since it plays quite well.

4. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    The body looks a little like a Ibanez Soundgear.............Maybe ? :confused:

5. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I think it looks rather Fernandez-ish.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Nowhere near.

I can also say it's almost certainly not a custom job. Look at the imperfect wood grain on that thing. Any custom maker would avoid that piece.

7. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I have no idea, but it's a good looking bass. How does it sound?

Welcome to TB :)

Marshall

8. Could be some type of markings on the neck pocket or the heel of the neck. Fender usually places its ID marking there. You may want to check if it's worth the hassle to you.

~Ryan

9. Looks like some sorta last-gen Aria knockoff or something?!?

actually a mish-mash of a few different styles. Does look kinda nice indeed. Not a big fan of raw-wood color basses tho.

10. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    *cough* Wish wouldn't *cough*

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You're right, I said custom maker. Shoulda said luthier :p

12. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Kinda almost looks Yamaha to me.

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Well, if it has no markers of any type, I'm still guessing a custom or home job. Don't know of any name builders who'd not put some type of mark or ID on their instrument. By custom, I'm saying some luthier somewhere could have built this to someone's specs just for sh**s and giggles............

14. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    How is the finish on it? Does it look or feel like it could have been painted at some time and stripped and cleared? If you're real curious take the bridge off and see if there are any other bridge holes underneath, like say from a Four string bridge. It would also be worth taking the neck off and investigating further if you really want to know.