1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can anyone ID this "ACE" acoustic / piezo archtop guitar?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bholder, Mar 26, 2017.

1. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I picked this up off ebay several years ago, no clue where it came from any more (lost the emails). I can find no serial number or maker's mark of any sort other than the ACE headstock logo with the diamonds. Does anyone recognize it? I've been unable to anything related to "ACE" or A.C.E. archtops that looks at all related (I'm no google ninja, but pretty good, and there's nothing out there that matches).
    ACE headstock. ACE archtop.

Coriolis and Tom Bomb like this.
  2. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb

Apr 23, 2014
    Had a quick look around - no luck :( Looks nice. Maple's an interesting choice, for a top. I wonder how it sounds. I imagine it's best profile might be amplified - nice and quiet otherwise, which isn't always a bad thing, especially if your 'neighbors' don't play along :smug: No doubt it's a rare and beautiful bird.

3. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    I don't know, the preamp on the side makes me think it isn't all that high end, but it's really pretty with the carved flamed maple top and 3 ply white/abalone/white bindings. It's fairly loud acoustically, would be louder with heavier gauge strings. Sounds unmistakably "acoustic" when plugged in. It couldn't have been that expensive, or I'd remember better what I paid. :) I'm just wondering if it's too valuable to mod - seriously thinking of adding a neck humbucker to add more of a jazzy sound. Anyway, I like it, seems worth playing more.

Tom Bomb likes this.
  4. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb

Apr 23, 2014
    Great stuff! I've got something like this: * WD Music Products - KENT ARMSTRONG® JAZZY JOE - JAZZ PICKUP W/ADJUSTABLE POLES - NECK MOUNT GOLD - with tone and volume on a floating scratch-plate akin to an early gibson. Have a look at this one - FGN Guitars Masterfield Series / Full Acoustic / MFA-FP - which has some extra bells and whistles, but I find just tone alone adds enough to give some nice options, beyond the traditional. And things can get pretty nasty, if you know what I mean :cool: FGN have a push-pull tone pot that ramps things up even more, for what it's worth. I'd be prepared to give that rig a shot :) I'd also like to have an under-saddle like yours. That sounds excellent.

5. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Exactly, I'm getting the Kent Armstrong neck mount slimbucker in gold. Rather than draping the wire across the front, I'm thinking of drilling a small hole under the pickup and routing internally.

Tom Bomb likes this.
  6. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb

Apr 23, 2014
    Bartolini does something similar - 5 J | Bartolini Pickups and Electronics - not so sexy :( but revered none-the-less, I've noticed. Can't turn one's nose up at these babies either - unwise :) And an outboard pre, like the LR Baggs paracoustic, will address any number of shortcomings :)

bholder likes this.
  7. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    It's got this (still current, apparently) preamp in it, so I don't think it can be all that old or high-end:
    71gViuyHNqL._SL1500_.

8. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Tom Bomb likes this.
  9. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb

Apr 23, 2014
    It dawns on me, you might get a kick outta this bitty bucker too. It travels :) No holes, bard :cool: