Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can Anyone ID This Bass, PLEASE

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dgce, Oct 27, 2004.

1. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I'm thinking of buying this thing but know one seems to know what it is or who made it. Clearly it’s derived from a P bass but its neck-thru with a hefty bridge.

The only thing I can add is that years ago I saw a Strat-type guitar just like this bass! It was very much like a Strat but neck-thru with clear finish. That guitar didn't seem to have a name or number either.

Feed back, anyone?

r

2. Can we see the headstock? Sometimes that's a dead giveaway.

3. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    It looks like a g****r i own. A not very well known brand called Greco. Not totally sure about it but one comman feature is multiple exotic wood both going across the body as well as through the body.

The guitar I own also has knobs like you get on a Gibson.

4. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA

Here's the headstock. And I don't think its a Greco.

Thanks,

r

5. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    I've seen a few basses like that, with the name "Canora" on them. I'm 95% sure it's Japanese, and probably dates from the late 70s or early 80s.

6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Looks Home made?
    5 pc. neck.
    string thru.
    Does look fairly new?

7. Stevious G

Stevious G

May 5, 2003
    It's also got a mahogany core. Take a close look at the back.

Weeird...

I'd guess homemade.

8. The pup look closer to the neck than on usual P's, am I wrong?

If the bass, plays and sounds good and if you can get a good price. take it!

9. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    I saw this on Ebay. If I remember correctly, the seller advertised this as "custom".

10. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Right, I saw this on eBay and unfortunately I can't try it out first (scary). Some how, I doubt its home made and seller has made it clear that he/she has no idea what the heck it is either (its definitely not a "Fender prototype" as the seller suggests it MIGHT be.

I think this might very well be some sort of Japanese import because it was likely made in the late 70s to mid 80s (back when Japanese stuff was still cheap but good--as Korea is today). And as I wrote before, I saw a Strat styled guitar JUST like this P-bass a few years back; also without any name or number on it.

Given the likely low price, I wouldn't give a damn who made it, if I could only try the thing out first!

Well, if anyone hears ANYTHING, do post.

Thanks!

r