1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can anyone ID this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GlennW, Dec 22, 2006.

1. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I don't even know if it is a bass...looks kind of like a fake action shot, but I'm not sure.

2. I think Bill Wyman used a Vox back then, very hard to tell from that pic.

3. I think it's a Framus.

4. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    It's weird seeing those guys' ears.

I thought it was during the Framus time, but it looks like a double cutaway with sharp cutaways. I think I read somewhere about him using a homemade bass early on, and wonder if that might be it.

This link shows the same picture and some of the Framus. I think it's a different bass.

http://members.chello.nl/f.dejonge/stoneshistory.htm

5. The particular Vox Bass in question came out years after this shot, doesn't even look like Bill Wyman anyway.
    The only one here looking like a Rolling Stone is the drummer

6. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    They do look like kids...that might be Ian Stewart or Nicky Hopkins by the piano with the maracas.

I've read that Bill didn't like the Vox and didn't play it much...I think he played it some because he felt obligated since they gave it to him or something. There's an interesting story on the Vox:

http://www.grouseguitars.com.au/wymanbassstory.htm

Edit: Just read somewhere else that his homemade bass was a fretless, so that can't be what he's playing in the first pick. That thing's starting to look more and more like a guitar, especially around the tuners, and it wouldn't be 2 feet above his head like the Framus.

Maybe it was a staged picture with other peoples' stuff? I also don't remember Brian playing a Harmony or Silvertone, but it's a very early shot.

7. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    It's Bill Wyman holding his home made fretless bass. He used it quote alot on the Stones early recordings.

I have a better photo of it that i'll post later.

TD

8. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    That's the homemade fretless? It must be defretted, or have lines on it. I'd love to see a better picture.

9. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Ask and you shall receive.

[​IMG]

But that's as good as it's gonna get.

TD

10. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Thank you, Thornton, and that's the best it's ever been.

That guy with the shades just puts it over the top.

11. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    The first pic looks like a young Brian Jones on bass. Just a guess.

12. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Brian is bottom left, and Bill is right behind him (top left).