1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can anyone ID this Fender CIJ bass for me?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fender22@tpg.co, Oct 4, 2008.

1. fender22@tpg.co

fender22@tpg.co

Oct 4, 2008
    Hi, I just picked this Bass up at a second hand shop and can't seem to find a lot of info on it. I always wanted a Jazz Bass and this one was irresistable to me in Candy apple with the painted head stock. It has Crafted in Japan at the base of the neck (near the neck pocket) and the serial number is P029984. Going off the Fender site with serial numbers this would make it a 1999-2000 but not sure if their serial numbers just apply to guitars or basses too. Almost looks too pristine to be that old? Anyway, was just wondering if anyone knows if it is a particular series? Has a definite vintage look about it. Are the CIJ guitars a viable Bass to use professionally?

P1000303.

P1000302.

2. dezspet

dezspet

Mar 21, 2007
    Hungary
    This is a 75RI with alder body based on the photos. It has original USA Fender Vintage pickups. I have the same one in Lake Placid blue. This is a very fine instrument, especially if you play funky. IME this one is better than most of the American Fenders. This is the most expensive Japanese Fender Jazz Bass which is available only for the domestic market.

3. fender22@tpg.co

fender22@tpg.co

Oct 4, 2008
    Is there any chance you could send me some photos of yours mate, would be very interested to see it.
    My email address is fender22@tpg.com.au

4. fender22@tpg.co

fender22@tpg.co

Oct 4, 2008
    Looks like it's a 62 reissue however can't see any reference to one with a painted headstock. How would you tell if it had USA pick ups or if it was an Alder or Basswood body?

5. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    Wrong... Any CIJ/MIJ 75ri's have block inlays not dots

62 is more like it..

6. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    tell me those it have a 3 bolt neck??

7. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    No bullet truss rod at headstock, tug bar on treble side indicates some kind of '60s RI.

8. david fitch

david fitch

Feb 20, 2007
    That is a Crafted In Japan 62 Reissue. Nice looking Bass,bet it plays well also. I have a M.I.J. '75 Fender Jazz Bass and I love the thing.

9. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
  10. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Not for nothing but as I recall Fender didn't paint headstocks in 62, the color CAR came out in 63 and ran for 10 years. The 62RI basses had stack knobs with ground strips. what makes this bass a 62RI?:meh: