1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can anyone identify the year of this jazz bass copy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LatimerFripp, Aug 20, 2012.

1. LatimerFripp

LatimerFripp

Aug 20, 2012
    I have Cimar jazz bass, neckplate without serial reads "made in japan" got a 70's look and sounds great.

I would like to know the year(even if not the exact year) or the factory that made this bass.. the headstock looks like old roadstar\blazer ones. Pretty sure it's from the 80's or maybe 70s?

thanks.
    jmyzmjzr4wod.
    jwygo1jddm3z.

2. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    Look for date codes on the pots.

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

No clue on the year but from what I learned from a quick google it appears to be a 70's budget line produced by Ibanez, plywood body. The earliest date I saw was 76, but again this is all internet hear say.

4. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    NET
    Cimar was a sub-brand of Ibanez, made for Hoshino Gakki by other entrepeneurs to a lower budget. Due to the nature of the Japanese guitar/bass industry, this is as straight as it gets: Cimar guitars were not produced by Hoshino Gakki, but "Cimar by Ibanez" guitars were produced for Hoshino Gakki by Cimar.

Your bass seems to have the same headstock shape as the Ibanez Roadstar II series in about 1983-86. It may have been made on a budget production line at the Fujigen factory, which did build most of the Ibanez stuff at the time.

5. Can't really provide info, but I really dig the looks of it!

6. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    I would guess early-mid 80's as it has a unique headstock. The 70's versions tried to match US headstocks exactly. After the lawsuit against Matsumoku, almost all Japanese manufacturers changed to unique headstocks around 1980.