Can anyone identify these speaker drivers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockin John, Jul 3, 2002.

1. Below is as much as I know.....

These loudspeaker drive units are available in the UK through the electronics trade. All attempts to discover the TS parameters have been totally fruitless.

There is a German wholesale company called Monacor who deal in these units.

They are billed as "Aluminium Cone Instrument Speakers" and are supposed to be excellent for guitar, bass guitar and stage monitors. They are 8 Ohms and are available in 5"; 8"; 10"; 12"; 15" sizes, with the following parameters:-

5": 30W RMS; 60W max; 96Hz to 15KKHz; 91dB SPL; depth 57mm

8": 60W RMS; 100W max; 48Hz to 10 KHz; 91dB SPL; depth 168mm

10": 70W RMS; 100W max; 36Hz to 10 KHz; 92dB SPL; depth 114mm

12"; 70W RMS; 100W max; 32Hz to 8 KHz; 92dB SPL; deoth 133mm.

15"; 130W RMS; 175W max; 32Hz to 7 KHz; 92dB SPL; depth 156mm.

I want to use a couple of either 10s or 12s in a cab but don't know how to size the box correctly. Or, conversely, I've a couple of old cabs that could be pressed into service for these drivers but don't know how the box dimensions will affect things.

Advice gratefully received.

2. ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    what are the serial no.s for those units......?
  3. TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    If you want to use them, I'd recommend you to put them in sealed box. Sealed box is always a safe choise, you don't need to worry too much about the cabinet size.
    Those speakers are very inefficient for instrument use. Most bass cabs have efficiency greater than 100db, even the power-hungry Acmes are 96db.
  4. Ahpook: Sorry, but no idea on numbers. I'm looking at these in a catalogue. Their part numbers and the makers numbers bear no relationship to each other, apparently.

TRU: One of the boxes I'm considering houses a couple of Celestion G12H [which the guitarist has 'bagged' :cool:]. I've no idea whether the box was specially designed for the Celestions or not. But your suggestion is just to put them in and they'll be OK? As it happens, I only plan to run them with about 35 W RMS from the vintage Laney head I've restored.

5. I think they'd be ok. I got a 15" Eminence with no Specs and put it in a Bin with a 6" port. thing sounds fine. Not boomy, no nasty resonances either. I just placed foam on the back wall and inside it to damp out any resonant peak that may be present. Seemed to have done the job.

6. Hello Merls.

It's a bit of a tricky subject to me, designing speaker boxes. Doubtless the speaker buffs on here would say it's an exact science but it does seem that it's possible to bang a driver in a box and it sounds just fine :eek:

I guess with Eminence you could get the specs so making the correct box might not be too difficult. But in this case I don't even know the maker's name.

So whatever size box I made or used, it would be nothing more than a guess. Somehow, that doesn't seem quite right to me. Still, a guess might just work out fine.

Unless Joris, MickeyD, Bruce, and others are lurking in the wings......... :D :D

7. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I wouldn't use them, usually "discount" = false economy = Big dissapointment.
    Stick with something recognised, celestion for instance.
  8. You make a fair point, Paul. If I intended to push these units anywhere near their limits, I'd probably not bother. For my current application I'd be pushing them at, what?, 20 Watts each. I sort-a assumed that as instrument speakers they'd be OK under those conditions.

Still, an Eminence or Celestion might be worth looking into.

9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    John, if you need the specs, download's winISD, it has a database that has lots of Monacors' specs - some dozens. They dont seem to be bad speakers, and they go quite deep (30Hz is not usual, even for a bass speaker - most stop at 40). And cab-designing is indeed very complicated, but if you run it on low power, it should be OK (the resonance wont be so strong, just make sure you put in enough damping material), the box size will affect the folowing: you'll have lower power, less bass output and more resonance than a closed box (which has the lowest power and least bass response). With that program, you can even design some cabs, and see the difference between cab types, speakers, etc...
    I hope this helps
  10. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    And Paul: they are in fact a bit expensive here, so what you think is not quite the thing. And consider how deep they can go - that speaks for itself
  11. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    MCM Electronics used to sell something similar. I bought 4 of their 10" aluminum cone speakers (70w 8 0hm 92db). They were made in the orient forpretty cheap; 40 oz magnets I believe.

I thought they were fine for the money. I made 2x10 sealed boxes (about 2.5 feet) and they sounded pretty nice for 4 string (although inefficient). I finally smoked them with too much power and abuse. I found they were ok for band practice if I ran 2 2x10 cabs at full rated poer.