1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can anyone identify this 10" speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by muddycreek, Nov 25, 2017.

1. muddycreek

muddycreek

Feb 26, 2010
    IMG_20171125_104800064.

This came out of a Peavey 410tx that also contained one Sheffield and one Pyle. Googling produces a couple references to it as an Eminence driver, but they we're old for sale posts that may have been wishful thinking. I'm casting around for an excuse to build something else with all the various drivers I have lying around, but I'd like to know what I have first. Hoping this isn't one of those proprietary drivers with unpublished specs, although I still have the 410 box and I suppose I could reverse engineer it. Thanks for any direction you can provide!

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Well it's definitely Eminence 100%. That's all I can tell you :)

3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Indeed. It is an OEM driver with proprietary, unpublished specs.

4. Rick James

Rick James

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    Judging by the size of the magnet it's probably entry level, no better than an Alpha 10, and might even be a guitar driver. I bet the only original driver in the cab was the Sheffield, and they're no prize either.

agedhorse likes this.
  5. muddycreek

muddycreek

Feb 26, 2010
    Meh. Well, good to know. In that case I think they're destined for little vocal boxes with a piezo, I'll either port them with something I can amend or just make them sealed. I think I have lpads around here to put in line with the tweeter, should be able to trim them somewhat appropriately.

6. Rick James

Rick James

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    You can't use L pads with most piezos. If you're only using one you shouldn't need it anyway, they only have 93 dB or so sensitivity.

7. muddycreek

muddycreek

Feb 26, 2010
    Thanks, I think I probably knew that years ago when I was paying attention...

8. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    70777121 is a peavey part number used in older 410B cabinets

the 410TX would use a Sheffield TVX 1035

both speakers are somewhat similar produced by Eminence

basket is same old stamped steel used for many eminence speakers and somewhat similar to a Alpha or Beta
    Beta would use larger magnet and 2" voice coil Alpha uses a Smaller magnet and 1.5inch voice coil

its a OEM design looks use a cheap smaller magnet like a Alpha but TS parameters wont be the same cause peavey is known to still try and make
    bullet proof speakers. Just like the Sheffields for bass its lower cost magnet but they use heavily reinforced speaker cones. So a alpha might have a 20 gram cone but peavey cones will be close to 40 grams so this will change the TS parameters.

Just like the Sheffields and many other Oem designs its basic 20 to 30 ounce magnet and the EBP will support sealed or vented and has a FS of roughly 50hz. Meaning it will use the same .9 to 1.3 cubic foot box sealed or vented and perform fine with a 50/55 hz tuning for vented applications

In other words the same old 1 cubic feet per driver at 55hz will work fine

muddycreek likes this.