1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can anyone identify this Andy Rourke bass?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by smithsonguitar, Nov 27, 2010.

1. smithsonguitar

smithsonguitar

Nov 27, 2010
    Hi, I'm doing some research on Andy's gear for a new entry on my site, Smiths On Guitar. I haven't had any luck identifying this bass, though, and I thought maybe some people here might recognize it:

vlcsnap-136247.

Electric%2BBallroom%252C%2BMay%2B21%252C%2B1983.

concentrating.

bassthrb.

Clearly a P-Bass copy of some kind, but I can't make out the name on the headstock. Maybe an Aria of some kind? Any help or advice would be appreciated!

2. smithsonguitar

smithsonguitar

Nov 27, 2010
    Any ideas?:bag:

3. peledog

peledog

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    The logo looks like it might be a Blade. I think these were made in Switzerland by Gary Levinson.

4. Big John66

Big John66

Feb 12, 2008
    Ibanez? Aspen? I remember seeing those p copies around with that chrome soapbar type pu. Definitely a mid-late '70s MIJ knock off.

5. tideEightyeight

tideEightyeight

Apr 29, 2010
    Aria seems to be the closest guess since the headstock doesn't really look like the Aspen logo to me and I cant find a picture reference of what a Blade logo looks like. All the interviews with him i've read he always said he plays Yamaha BB's and Fenders but its clearly neither of those.

6. PopaWoody

PopaWoody The major rager

May 28, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    what year is this?

7. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor

Aug 6, 2008
    PDX
    There was an Andy Rourke interview in Bass Player magazine a few years ago. I think I have that issue. I can take a look and see what basses he mentioned, but I just moved and don't have Internet access, so I won't be able to write back until Monday. Perhaps someone else who has the mag can chime in.

8. smithsonguitar

smithsonguitar

Nov 27, 2010
    The year was 1983, this was used at a few early Smiths shows. I have counted at least 10 different basses he used with the Smiths: This one, a Guild, 3 squires: black with black pickguard and maple neck, black with white guard and maple neck, and black with white guard and rosewood neck. He also had his '64 sunburst P bass, a '66 slab body white P bass, a red P bass with chrome bridge cover, the Yamaha BB2000 and a sunburst Jazz Bass.

I think Aria is a good guess as the name could be a match on the headstock. Does anyone have a photo of an old aria P bass to compare?

I don't think he mentioned this bass in the Bass Player interview. This is pretty obscure.

9. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    That name on the headstock looks reminiscent of the Antoria logo and they were certainly copyists so it might be one of their P bass alikes.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    looks like some beginner bass from the late 60's that was made in japan. i'd say it's small or medium scale or that guy is a giant, and he doesn't look like a giant. might be aria but i've seen similar basses under a handful of different names, kent being one that sticks out in my mind.

11. peledog

peledog

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Other ideas -

Sango
    Memphis

12. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
  13. mrzappa74

mrzappa74

Jun 28, 2011
    I own an identical bass to the one in the picture. The name on the headstock reads "Antoria" it's made in Japan. Early to mid 70's. :bassist: I hope this helps you out. I was just browsing on here and noticed the article.

14. smithsonguitar

smithsonguitar

Nov 27, 2010
    Hey mrzappa, just saw your post! Do you think you could post a photo of your bass? I think we have got a winner!:bassist: