1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

can anyone identify this bass ? ? ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sushi, Mar 13, 2008.

1. sushi

sushi

Jun 21, 2007
    I was wondering if any of you TB'ers could identify this bass, and if so, if it is a rare treasure or one that should be left in the attic where it belongs!

Picture 4.

2. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
  3. Yeah, we need to see the headstock. Certainly looks like a Burnsalike of some kind. Probably a Japanese copy from the 70s.

4. sushi

sushi

Jun 21, 2007
    Thanks for the info. I don't have a pic of headstock. It's up for grabs on a local secondhand site here in Belgium. If it is a Burns, or a copy, are we talking about a potentially great vintage quality bass? (he asked wondering if he should just pick it up on a whim)...

5. Funkdrawer4

Funkdrawer4 Registered Abuser

Never hurts to have another bass right?:smug:

6. I don't think it's a "Real" Burns, but I've been wrong many times before. It certainly looks like a copy, but what it's worth, is another question.

7. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    If it is indeed a copy, which it looks very much to be, I would hesitate to use the words, "potentially great vintage quality bass" to describe it until I got to see it in the flesh. True, some of the copies are fine players but they're often the exception.

If we are talking about a real Burns, chances are the owner would know it and have you know it and it would be suspect to have lasted very long on the market. Just like any wooden instrument, its vintage won't guarantee any level of quality of tone. Many were good and some were mediocre. Such is the nature of wood.

8. Exactly right.

I'd hate to buy anything like that without playing it first. If it goes for peanuts then maybe it's worth a punt, but I wouldn't be paying a lot for what I see in the picture.

9. It's definitely *not* a Burns, but something that looks a bit like it. Ibanez did stuff like this, and some of it ended up in Europe with Antoria on the headstock, but there were loads of cheapish instruments like this from various sources.

If the setup is good, there's no reason why it wouldn't be a fun bass to play.

The pickups look like the slightly better Japanese type, and I bet it's short scale.

10. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    It looks like a 1970 Baldwin which was made by burns for export in the US.

G

11. David Webb

David Webb

Aug 28, 2007
    England, UK
    I would say it is either a Japanese copy, or more likely a Watkins Saphire from the 60s - the better range from Watkins. It is not a Burns/Baldwin.
    David

12. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
  13. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    What the heck are those pickups? Humbucker-positioned Lipsticks? :eyebrow:

14. This looks like an Ibanez copy of a Burns that a friend of mine used to have. I know he had his from 1969 (that dates me, I guess). He sold it to buy a second hand (1965)Fender P bass which he still owns and is still in spotless condition (drool) but that's another story.

I played his Ibanez from time to time and I do recall it having a very high action. Compared to Ibanez's of today, it really wasn't that great.
    If it is an Ibanez, it will definitely say so on the headstock.

15. sushi

sushi

Jun 21, 2007
    Man thanks to all of you for all the feedback! Looks like cdef may have won the prize, ( I could send you an mp3 of incredibly sub-mediocre
    bass solos by yours truly ) Check out the link! Anyway think I will go for it and see what it sounds like. With a bound fingerboard and double pups but two tone knobs and only one volume control, I am curious....