1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can anyone identify this tenor player?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Tbeers, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hey.... I was watching this video and I don't know who the tenor player is by looking at him (and I'm not 100% sure by listening either). Can anyone identify this dude from the attached picture?

If it's someone really obvious, please don't make fun of me. At first I thought it might be Michael Brecker, but I find it hard to believe he ever looked like that.

Thanks.

2. Brecker does look quite different today than he did years ago, but that's not him. Maybe it's Bob Berg ......?

3. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    You seem to be correct!

Thanks! The video in question is with Jaco Pastorius and a big band in 1982. Randy Brecker is also on stage, at least I'm pretty sure he is. The tenor solo is incredible, though....

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Bob Mintzer. Looking rather "Boogie Nights", I might add.

5. Farin

Farin

Oct 19, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    Yeh,
    I would say almost for sure that Bob Mintzer. Hes got a distinct ambrasure (sp?).

6. Here is a more recent pic of Bob for Comparison...

7. Yep. Looks like I got my Bobs mixed up. Bob Berg was a great player, though. He passed away in '02.

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I dunno, I thought it looked more like Bob Berg too. And he "passed away" in an auto accident, it's prolly just semantics but to me that's more like "killed" than "passed away".

9. Yeah, I knew he had died, I just didn't know how..... Saw him out here in BFE in the late '90's w/Chick Corea, Steve Gadd and Eddie Gomez. Played his a** off.

10. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    It was a sad ****ing thing, man. He and his wife, their car got hit by a cement mixer truck out east on Lawn Guyland. He bought it and his wife was hurt pretty bad.

I spent a lot of time with the EASTERN REBELLION records back in the 80s; Cedar, Sam Jones.....

11. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Yes, so did I, great band, wonderful music......nice to remember that time.

12. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Wait, so are we sure which Bob it is? Here's one of Bob Berg:

bobberg.

13. Those ears would stick out of even the tightest brady bunch perm.

14. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Oh, I dunno

15. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Those ears were his most important piece of gear!! I'm still trying to develop mine.

16. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Still goin' with Bob Mintzer. Berg had that boxer's nose...plus, Mintzer was a member of Jaco's big band at the time.

Bottom line...what a nice choice...both Bobs play(ed) their a$$es off.

17. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Naw, I'll buy that. I was just saying that it wasn't so left field thinking that it mighta been Berg...

18. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Yup...they both did time with Jaco.