1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can anyone identify this Tone Cap?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Floridabwoy, May 31, 2012.

1. Floridabwoy

Floridabwoy Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Jacksonville, Fl
    S83J1 00V ?????

What is the mfd? Manufacture?

It is from a Squier VM P and I love the tone. It sounded great in the P and it sounds great in my J. I want to buy some more.

Attached Files:

2. If you know anyone with a semi-decent multimeter you could test it and see what the capacitance of it is.

Probably 0.047μF (or maybe 0.022μF) if it's in a P. It looks like a cheap polyester cap.

3. Floridabwoy

Sep 18, 2008
    Jacksonville, Fl
    It sounds different than an orange drop .047μF... it sounds more middy.

4. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    If the first digit is a 6 (as I suspect it is) then it is a 68nF (0.068uF) 5% tolerance, 100v working.

If my memory serve me correctly it is a mylar and commonly know as a chicklet (But I may be wrong on mylar without looking it up).

5. It could be a 0.022μF. Heck, I'm not sure, not seen a schematic for the VM P-basses.

It also depends on the tolerance of the cap too. They could both be labelled "0.047μF" caps, but in reality one could be 0.055μF and one could be 0.03μF (for instance). It really depends on the tolerance. Which is why the best way would be to get a good multimeter and find out what the capacitance actually is :) (also, measure the resistance of the pot and take note of the taper used).

6. It looks like a mylar/poly cap anyway.

0.068μF is a possibility, OP, does it roll off more highs than the 0.047μF cap? Does it make the bass sound deeper/bassier?

7. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    It will sound different to .047uF, that is the nature of filters.

8. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    One from my parts bin, it is 683 not 603 as it appears in the photo, the camera does not pick up the badly printed 8.

Unless you want to get into cork sniffing then the manufacture does not matter (and if you do it only matters to you :bag:). Those sort of caps were probably the cheapest available. Very much like the big disc ceramics found in old Fenders.

jqMxF.jpg

9. Do you mean very high mids, as in, low treble range?

The larger the value, the lower into the audio spectrum it will cut, but you're still well above the midrange.

Smaller values only cut the highest highs, whereas larger values cut the highest highs AND extend their effect lower into the frequency range- they have a wider frequency response, in a sense, starting from the top down.

Bear in mind that in this application, the cap is not in the signal path, just parallel to it, simply draining away the highs. It might have seemed as though it had an effect on mids, but it really can't ...

Best bet is to measure it with a multimeter that has a capacitance setting, if you have access to one. But such meters are typically expensive and not found at the average hardware store. At the end of the day though, it's almost certainly either .047 or .022uF.

10. Floridabwoy

Sep 18, 2008
    Jacksonville, Fl
    To answer questions. Yes. It rolls off the highs but when all they way down it still has a lot of presence in the mids. It doesn't sound all sub bassy when rolled all the way down.

At say 20% it has a great mids, and at 80% it has everything but say finger movement on the strings. At 100% you can hear all the slides your fingers make on the strings.

11. Floridabwoy

Sep 18, 2008
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Thanks guys... btw.

12. Oobly

Oobly

Jun 19, 2008
    The 683 part means 0.068uF or 68nF, the J is the tolerance (5 %) and the 100V is just what it says, the voltage rating, just like delta7fred says.

13. Floridabwoy

Sep 18, 2008
    Jacksonville, Fl

Deltafred, do you remember where you aquired that cap? I don't care about manufacture. I am just trying to get close to the same tone in another bass.

14. Floridabwoy

Sep 18, 2008
    Jacksonville, Fl
    It is 683 not S83. I texted it to myself last night and read it wrong on the picture.....

15. What you've said here suggests it's a low value like a .022, but you'd really have to compare it to a cap of a known value to be sure.
    But heck, they're cheap so get some of each. Radio Shack has them, and other values you could try.
    A neat trick is to solder a pair of wires to the pot and ground where the cap would connect, let them hang out and use clip leads to connect various caps. You can try different ones and switch them out quickly this way, to find the value you prefer.

16. It certainly does sound like he is discribing a 0.022, even though that isn't what's in the picture!

OP, you could get them in a number of places, even on ebay or the like you'd be able to pick up hundreds of them for a few dollars!

17. The tone you want probably comes from the value and not whether it is a orange drop, a mustard cap, or a chicklet. Guitar specialty houses on the net have 0.068 uF tone caps for around $5 a pop, but you can probably get them for 50 cents at a place like Jameco, Mouser, or Digikey.

I have a large stash of caps at home (hundreds). I'll check after work and see if I have a bag of .068s and I could just mail you a bunch.

18. Floridabwoy

Sep 18, 2008
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Thanks I realize that I am contradicting myself. I better go with what the cap states not what my ears tell me. : )

Thanks for all your help guys. I had no idea that J meant 5% tolerance. Learn something new everyday on Talkbass!

19. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Inactive Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Just get another mylar film cap with the same rating. Like this one:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...me=Type&filterValue=Polyester+film+capacitors

It will only sound the same if the pickups are similar. The impedance of the pickup affects how the cap works.

20. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    Sorry but I don't, it is a pull from a board that is as much as I know.

As long as you use a .068uF you will get the same tone. It doesn't really matter about make, type or colour although not everyone would agree with me on that one.