1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can anyone identify this Vester bass guitar?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tobias Valentin, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Tobias Valentin

Tobias Valentin

Jan 9, 2017
    Can anyone tell me about this particular model of Vester bass guitars?

On the internet I found images of almost similar Vester bass guitars, but I always see difference in body or headstock.

I don't know anything about this instrument, except that Vester was an American / South Korean operation that produced guitars for some years until the mid 1990s.

This is my first bass guitar. I got it as a present in 1993. It is perhaps not the best bass guitar in the world, but it has some good qualities like a somewhat punchy sound.

Vester%20bass%20guitar_zpsuygjefbw.

Attached Files:

2. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Looks almost the same as an Ibanez which of course can be has cheap. An old SR800 and your rockin like Dokken.

3. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    It's likely an OPR 1235. The description fits: "Offset double cutaway asymmetrical alder body, bolt-on maple neck, 24-fret rosewood fingerboard with pearl dot inlays, 5-string configuration, 3/2 per side tuners, black hardware, P-style/J-style pickups, 1 volume/2 tone controls, 3-position mini switch, available in black or metallic red, discontinued 1994."

Examples of Vester serial codes:

Prefixes
    C = Cor-Tek (Cort),
    V = Saehan/Sunghan (made the Vester guitars),
    N = Nineties (1990s), the first number following the prefix is the year.

So that
    "CN3xxxxx" = made by Cor-Tek (Cort) in 1993.
    "VN3xxxxx" = made by Saehan/Sunghan in 1993.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  4. Tobias Valentin

Tobias Valentin

Jan 9, 2017
    Thank you for your comments on this (I admit it) rather boring bass guitar.

I appreciate it, because this instrument has sentimental value for me.

My bass could be the above mentioned OPR 1235 (what a name). The description fits, and although I can't find any pictures on the internet of this specific model, my bass looks quite similar to a photo I saw of the "OPR 1235 EQ", except that the latter has one more knob (that is probably the eq feature). My bass serial number is strange, though. It begins with "E". ("E757256").

In 1994, my bass and I were children.
    Vester%20Bass%201994_zpskt4hyq2s.

Alixinchains likes this.
  5. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    This is from Vester's 1993 catalog:

6956427vester_opr1235_1993.

6. All I'm gonna say is hang on to her. I had one of their Maniac II series super strats back in the day and miss that thing dearly. They were a lot of instrument for the money back then, and pretty hard to come by now. If I ever came across anything Vester again my credit card would immediately be out and I'd probably be sleeping on the couch.

7. Tobias Valentin

Tobias Valentin

Jan 9, 2017
    You are absolutely right, and I will hang on to it.

That image from the 1993 Vester catalogue - it is exactly that model; OPR 1235.
    Thank you very much for finding that.

Vester%20OPR%201235%20MR%20fra%20katalog%201993%20lille_zps8uuccrdf.

Alixinchains likes this.