Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can Anyone Identify this Vintage Acoustic?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tplyons, Mar 26, 2005.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Can anyone identify this acoustic? It's old, no label, nothing on the headstock. Looks like the logo plate was removed. Back of the headstock has a music stand logo that reads "Steel Reinforced Neck" and has open gear plate tuners with plastic keys.

The bridge is a wraparound type, no bridge pins here and the top appears to be solid. The sides and back look like plywood. There used to be a pickguard that was screwed to the body, and by the same means, an emblem appears to have been on the headstock, in almost a v-shape.

Pictures are at the link below. Notice I have circled the holes for the pickguard and the fasteners for the headstock logo.

http://www.tplyons.com/mystery/

2. my guess is harmony, but i dunno for sure

3. Just a hunch and I don't have any real hard experience to back it up but the sum of the clues add up to post WWII import for me, and maybe not even imported but that's the way I would bet.

But you may as well put a 6th string on my bass for as much as I know about acoustic g#####s! :D

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well I found out it was a Kay... and upon further investigation it wasn't able to be repaired, so it was donated to the school for art purposes.

5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

The painted rings around the soundhole(rather than inlays, or none at all) are indicative of a "lower level" quality instrument and not of a "marque" variety.

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Which makes it worth remarking that people are calling anything old and falling apart "vintage" when they should be calling it "junk".

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Which prompts another thought: If 25-30 years of places like GC filling everybody's closet with a Strat, Tele, P or J type, everybody will own a "vintage" Fender.

8. Which goes to the heart of the difference between a "vintage" instrument and an old guitar.