Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can anyone name this vintage Ampeg?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Arranger, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    This is my bedroom at age 15 in 1973 where I grew up near Philly. The Ampeg amp behind the chrome Alan track bike is a vintage flip-top Ampeg from the 60's. All I remember is that I painted the black cage a fancy shade of metallic blue and someone changed the original 12" driver to a 15".

The front of the amp top had a plastic face reading "Ampeg" that glowed green like optic fiber.

As a bit of trivia, any idea what model it was? I honestly do not remember.

(Oh, and that's my first bass - a Kay. I think I used it to play street hockey once. One of my friends rewired it and still uses it for recording to this day and guess what? It sounds great!)

2. Judging from the small size and your description, I'd say it's a B-12 Portaflex.

3. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Looks like maybe a hybrid, because the B-12 would have been tube.

That unit has a squat chassis with nothing on top. A B-12 should have a tube cage.

Solid state was BT. It would be a BT-12, only as far as I know from digging around, there wasn't one....just a BT-15, and other "straight" units.

The electroluminescent panel was definitely on BT-15 units and the other solid-state stuff.

You sure the 12" was replaced with a 15"?

4. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    It was tube, by the way. And I'm sure it was originally 12" because the dust pattern on the grille was smaller than the replacement speaker someone put in it. I bought it used in 1970. It was certainly a 60's model.

I've seen many other more common flip tops with tubes and a much larger cage. This one was unique.

Thanks for the input.

5. I can say fairly confidently that it's an Ampeg SB-12. I have one as well, and I attached a picture of it. For the picture you posted, it looks a lot like mine. Are those latches the only conection between the amp and the cabinet, or is there a cable connecting the two. I think most of them have a cable connection, but it's just the latches on mine.

6. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Yeah, it seems like it's a SB-12.

7. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    That's it Jacob! You got it. You're right about the latches making the polarity contacts to the speaker. I remember I had to jiggle the latches now and then to get a great connnection. And look at the dust pattern on the grille. Mine was the same. I bet it is 12" in diameter. If that's true, that's why the driver in mine was definately oversized at 15". It was a great keyboard amp with my Harold Rhodes electric piano.

8. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Oh.......got it finally, you DID originally say the TUBE CAGE was blue....NOT the chassis.

All I saw in the pic was the "blue chassis" (actually the tube cage, I didn't see the blue chassis underneath it.)

That explains everything........just my misunderstanding you.

9. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks again Ampeg Insider, and everyone. It was tubes right? I seem to remember it glowing quite a bit and really, really hot.

I originally got it to amp my Farfisa (Larry) Fast II combo organ in 1969. That, with a Fender original Spring Reverb (a stand alone box reverb unit - the original "plug-in!") the Ampeg had me reeling in the psychedelic era. :cool:

10. Yup, it's got two preamp tubes, two power amp tubes, and a rectifier tube. You don't see too many new bass amps with tube rectifiers, that's for sure. I think Ampeg got rid of that latch electronic connection because of safety reasons. Whatever. I've owned my amp for a few years now, and I have yet to be electricuted. :D