Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can anyone offer me some highend 6 string bass suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cory, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Cory

Cory

May 16, 2004
    TEXAS
    Hello everyone,
    I am a professional bassist that is looking to add a nice highend 6 string bass to my gear collection. This bass would mainly be used for studio work.....every now and then some live work. I have played Sadowsky basses since 1990 and have loved every moment. If Roger built a six string, I'd own it as well......problem is as you know.....he doesn't make one! I have several of Roger's basses but I mainly play a vintage 4 for the J sound or a 24 fret 5 string with EMG's for the modern tone. Every now and then I'll play a Sadowsky PJ or a fretless but not too often. Can anyone offer a suggestion as to what bass would be as close to the punchy sadowsky sound as I can get?? Also can anyone tell me about the Ken Smith BSR 6P or the elite series neck through basses?? Experience with these would help me a lot. I have been told by a few friends to look at Ken Smith's basses. I play all styles of music....everything from Jazz to Rock to playing in Broadway shows. I'd like to get a bass that has a wide variety of tones. Thanks for your imput. Cory

2. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

I'd recommend a Ken Lawrence but I'm VERY prejudiced about mine! I can't quite get a P-bass sound, but it can come close depending on my technique. Everything else, it gets and the comfort level playing it is great.
    [​IMG]
    Dan K.

3. Hi!!

For a punchy, growly sound, F Bass would suit very well!!
    Ash Body, maple neck and FB!!
    A very big range of sounds available, and a vintage tone...
    http://www.fbass.com/images/im000021a.jpg
    Vince

4. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    The Ken Smith is a great sounding bass. I would probably recommend the bolt-on pro series instead of the neck thru. From a quality of build standpoint, it is at least as good if not better than a Sadowsky (big statement, but yes it's true). Tonally, you can really shape you sounds based on what would you choose. The electronics are stellar. Super clean and detailed. Very similar to the Sadowsky modern but in a different way if that makes any sense. The spacing of the pickups with the modern is somewhat similar to the soapbars on the smiths. The big difference is the mid control . I know Mr. Sadowsky doesn't think it's a good idea, but I've found this control very useful on the Smith. Big range of sounds, comfortable neck with good spacing for slapping, but not oversized.

Can't go wrong.

5. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    If you want to hear a good example of the Ken Smith, check out this website. http://www.meteoritemusic.com/

This bands bass player uses a Ken Smith. Very jazzy type tone with balls. Might be right up your alley.

Or you could always take a look at Dingwall's, but Im not sure its going to be the sound your after hehe.

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm partial to Jerzy Drozd. His craftsmanship is flawless and his B string is consistently fantastic!

Here's a picture of mine: [​IMG]

7. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I highly recommend Chris Benavente. He is an extremely talented builder. I've had the pleasure of playing several of his instruments and they really are amazing.

Chris has got neck building down a science. His necks are thin (back to front). The feel is quite amazing.

His basses also sound as good as they look. He has his own in house electronics designer now and they have put together a preamp that compliments his basses perfectly.

8. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I've been recently introduced to the basses made by Jerzy Drozd and I have to 2nd Ram's opinion ... these are some extremely well crafted instruments. I don't own one, yet, but pretty soon .........

I really love this bass :bassist:

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I here F Bass makes a killer 6 string that is similar to Sadowsky. By the way Sadowsky basses rock, yeah their my favorite. :D :bassist:

10. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
  11. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    +1 on the Nordstrand, Benavente, and F suggestions. The others ones I don't know as well. If you think about the aspects of your current instruments that you'd like similar or different in a six-string, I'd bet all those guys could set you up with something sweet once you've had the conversation.

Marshall

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, conklin, ritter and jerzy drozd all make amazing extended range instruments - i have proof in my basement atm. heh. :) benevente, ken smith, fodera, mtd... there really are many many builders out there that make really excellent extended range instruments. top notch. it's a good time to be a bassist :)

13. In that way I can agree with you, but I would say "it's a good time to be a bassist if you're patient or if you have a lot of money!! ;)
    Because the GAS are killing a lot of people right there!!

Vince

14. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    ...getting close on those reviews, Mr. Mod??? (can't want to hear!!!)

15. in addition to everything written already, I'd say you should check out Bee, Adler, and Fodera. all great stuff. the stuff coming out of BassLab looks pretty cool, but I've got no firsthand experience with it.

additionally, Kyley Boyd, my tech is a luthier and makes killer stuff. his website doesn't do it justice!

from the lows,

Stew

16. Alright, I'll say it:Stambaugh. Did everything I asked at a very reasonable rate, & fairly quickly.

17. I've had several high end Smith neck through 6's, old and new, different wood combos, etc. Having owned lots of different types of basses, I would say that the Smiths are some of the best playing basses out there, especially in a 6. I don't feel they get a wide variety of tones however. No matter what I did with the controls on the bass, that Smith sound with the upper midrange bite/honk was always there.. hard to dial that out if you don't want it. Playing through 15's helps some in that department I've found. It is a modern tone, not an all-around deep classic tone that you get on your Sadowsky.

18. +1, although I've only played/owned 2 Smiths, I had the same experience: great build quality, awesome playability & feel, great tone- but pretty much one tone. If you like it, great- but more versatility & wider spacing would have made either one I had perfect(for me).

19. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    IMO the Roscoe 6 string basses are the most playable I've tried. Awesome tone too!

Do a search on TB or go to Keiths web site at www.roscoeguitars.com

20. Cory

Cory

May 16, 2004
    TEXAS
    Hello Everyone,
    Thanks for all the great tips. I have placed some calls to some of the luthiers you have suggested. Thanks for the help!
    Cory