Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can ANYONE play Maxwell Murder??

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by fleabass89, Sep 1, 2001.

1. Holy crap, its hard! I know what notes to play, but i can't fret them fast enough. I think this is the first punk song i've heard that I can't play descently (plus a lot of other Rancid songs).

Can anyone play this? How? Are there any tips that you can give me? Thans

2. i can play everything but the solo... but i guess that's what you're talking about.

3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    ditto :D

Then get frustrated and play "Root radicals" and then "Journey to the end of east bay" instead...

all those songs on just one album... a must to anyone.

4. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Yeah, everything but that solo. Its just too fast.

5. :rolleyes: :p

I'd like to really see him [Matt] play that.. At the warped tour they played it but i couldn't see him because i was too busy getting crushed and exphixiated:mad:

6. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    I bet it looks like madness (when he plays it)

7. i saw him play it, and it wasn't note for note, but he looks very relaxed when he's playing anything, which i think is key for playing as fast as he does. tense up, and it's over.

8. i can play my version (which sounds kinda like matts solo) but any time i try to play it at full speed i always accidently mute half the notes and miss a bunch of em too

does anyone have the correct tabs?

9. Well, I can play everything but the EXACT solo. I kinda have an idea of it. But, I played the song at Guitar Center. (I was playing through the Jesus-like Mesa-Boogie) and there were a couple people looking at me. I couldnt tell if they were impressed or I really sucked.

Does anyone know what kind of amps Matt plays through?

Edit: This is POST 600!!! *confetti*

10. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    I know its GK, Im not sure of the exact model.

Theres one at punkhardcore.com, it seems to be pretty close.

11. http://www.oncontact.com/anton/rancid/basstabs.htm

that's where i got the solo tab, because i dont have a program to slow down songs, and otherwise its impossible.

I've been practicing ALOT lately trying to get this down... my goal is to play it by my birthday (October 4th).

12. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    well the only Rancid album I have is Let's Go and right now Im trying to learn Radio. That seems pretty hard for me (prechorus). Anyone else have an opinion on this song?

13. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    oh by the way, Im pretty sure Matt Freeman uses a Gallien-Krueger 2000RB. Here's proof:

[​IMG]

now the real question is, what bass is that?

14. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Isnt that number 2 on the cd? If it is that song has an awsome bassline during the prechorus and chorus. Ive never tried to play it though...

15. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    The writing on the headstock looks kinda like "Ibanez" I always thought he used Fender.

16. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    yes, Radio is number 2 on the CD. I heard it was co-written by Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day... now who's to say Green Day isn't punk?!!

17. actually Billie Joe played with Rancid before they recruited Lars Fredererickson, and after they played with Billie Joe was when they decided to have a permanent 2nd guitarist

18. that's interesting... so who's this "dinwitty" guy that co-wrote "get outta my way"?

19. Matt DID use Fenders up until recently. He used P, J and P/J. I think now he plays a custom Ibanez which is pretty much a Fender P/J with a Jazz body and an Ibanez headstock. From what Ive seen/heard anyway. Bye.