Can anyone play Tommy the Cat?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jonathan2994, Apr 18, 2005.

1. This song just blows me away. Can anyone play it, and if so, can they record or film themselves doing it?

Something funny....

Last night I had a dream I was at my cousins house and I looked at her couch, and sitting there was Les Claypool. So, casually, I walked over to the other couch and laid down on it, staring at him. He was watching TV with a big smile.

So I raised my finger and pointed and said "You're Les Claypool." He looked at me and laughed, and disappeared into thin air.
  2. I dont think ANYONE can play Tommy the Cat EXACTLY right... Les uses a lot of improvising and plays around randomly with his riffs... its almost impossible to get it all nailed down just right.
  3. I bet Les Claypool could do it. In fact, I've seen him do it 2 or 3 times, but it's been years.
  4. I'm no one, & I cannot play it.
  5. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Tommy the who? How about Hamburger Train?!?!?!
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

He doesn't improvise a lot on the recorded version. Very little in fact. And if you want a video of someone playing it... why not Claypool? I can play it, not perfectly, but it's by no mean impossible... in terms of flashy bass playing, it's not even that flashy.
  7. i can play it for liek 30's second then i feel as tho iam gonna puke
  8. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    lol , well it certainly suits the song , maybe change the lyric to "tommy the hairball " when you play it.

9. could you record it? i want to hear it without drumming...their are so many little clicks in there, it's hard to catch all of them. i'd have an easier time learning them without the drums because they sound just like the clicks. :bassist:
  10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I could... but my version like I said... isn't perfect... hold on let me try and find something for you...
  11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Damn it, there was a thread that was about this: It was everyone submitting a recording of Tommy the Cat. Wrong Robots was probably the best. That was when I first learned it and played it like in 7/8 or something. I just compared mine to the recording and it's rhythmically a bit different, and I'm trying to re-figure it out myself. I can't figure out how he times out that business before the dyad. Meh, I guess I suck.
  12. The thing everyone gets up in arms about is the clicking. Even though it's part of the technique he uses, it's mainly the roundwounds clacking against the fretboard, along with his tone. It's a pretty easy riff once you break it down.
  13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Actually, I don't like the riff, because it has the problem almost all my slapping has... too dead note heavy. All and all it's about 3 notes, and a bunch of dead notes.
  14. I can play it, but as people have said before not perfect if i had recording equip i would record myself playing it on my 6-string fretless, and a fretted, any live recording Ive heard he plays it on a fretted 4 string, more like the suck on this version, if anyone has a live version of him playing it on the rainbow bass I would love to hear it ;)
  15. I learnt this over 10 years ago - when I was a Les-a-holic and worked out loads of his stuff - it's hard because it's fast - it also features a sustained note - the G - which has to be played with two different fingers (in the version I worked out) - Les just gets a groove on with that sloppy, greasy style of his and it works - the key nis playing it with a very relaxed action - it isn't that hard. Actually - playing it on 6-string fretless is very hard - good luck...;)

16. the song came out in 97, didn't it?
  17. dblbassmike

Apr 14, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    I finally have it down according to the Primus bass book. I don't agree with how it is written, I had to modify a few things to finally come really damn close. I play it on my Fender P-bass 4 string fretted. I don't think that there is anyone that can play exactly as the recording, not even Les can duplicate exactly what was on the sailing the seas of cheese recording. But you can only come close. It has become a pretty sweet riff to play.

Michael :bassist:
  18. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    The powertab version has very few dead notes. It's probably his technique. It's similar to Flea's and even my own developing technique where, for faster lines, it sounds like it's a dead note but it's really just a very lightly held down note.

Anyway, it's not that great of a riff. I like American Life a whole lot more. Very catchy and try playing that riff while singing!!