Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

can anyone play tommy the cat

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by macool, Dec 26, 2001.

1. i would just like to know if anyone here can actually say that they can play tommy the cat by primus the exact way that les claypool does. i have bought the tab book and watched videoplasty in slow motion countless times and i still cannot figure out exactly what he does. i have made my own way which sounds very close but there is something about it that doesnt seem right. can someone please tell me how to play it because its just about the only song by primus that i cant play and it is driving me crazy.

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Being a good sport, I'll let Gruffpuppy at this one first.

3. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    hehe, jk, its a cool song, im still getting it down.. claypool is bad ass

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    If you aren't playing a 6-string fretless, you're only going to be able to get so close. Lots of the things he does in that tune are little gliss things, there's some B string stuff, and some higher chords where you need the high C.

5. that is where im lost because in the tab book it says that you must have a six string but on the video he plays it on a four string so i dont get it. can someone explain this to me.

6. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    He probably did an alternate version for 4-string...I haven't seen that one. The "Seas Of Cheese" version is 6-string.

7. i can't play it! :)

8. He was playing this song for years before that album, before he had a 6-string. You can hear him do the 4-string version on _Suck on This_. I have no idea what's going on in either case. It is a total mystery to me.

As an uninteresting aside, Suck on This was the first actual CD I bought, after I finally got a CD player in 1991.

9. Wow Brad I am so overwhelmed I am speachless.

Of the top of my head:

Umm, Yea Les Claypool can.
    No, but if you hum a few bars I could probally fake it.
    :D

Your turn.

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Well done, grasshopper. Late... as usual, but well done.

:D

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Mike childree is correct. There's stuff on the low B that you cannot play on the E, and a double stop strummed on the high G and C. There's a couple other notes, but they can be played in other positions. Instead of strummed the doublestop on the B and E on the 4th fret of the G and C, I move my hand up to the nice fret of the D and G, so you can play the song on 5 string fretless, if you dare.

Live, and on Rhinoplasty, they mess the song up quite a bit...it's not much like the version on Sailing the Seas of Cheese.

12. Why doesn't Les claypool get interviewed for Talkbass?? Everyone talks about him, why not ask the man himself?

:D:D

Merls

13. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas

Hummm hummm hum hum hummmm hummmm.

Good enough?

14. Darn no, could you tab it for me?

Sorry Brad, darn work yet again got in the way.

15. If you give me a Carl Thompson cutom 6 string fretless I could give it a try... but don't get your hopes up :(

I've seen notation and tabs for this song, and darned if it isn't one of the craziest things I've ever seen.

16. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Actually it's really pretty straight forward. It's just his tone makes it sound a little weirder than it is.

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Hmmm... "work"... I remember that.

18. silvermaneZ

silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Calling Paul......

19. i don't see why you would need a fretless 6 when it works out just fine on my fretted.

20. hehe Darwin awards.....:)