Can anyone play????!!!!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by duff_hodges, Apr 24, 2001.

1. duff_hodges

May 15, 2000
    Suffolk, UK
    I have read in many forums where a huge percentage bassists say they can barely play. Am I a minority when I say 'I can play bass pretty well'?

Peoples opinion would be gratefully recieved
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I think a lot of the guys are just humble.

I have been told many times over the years 'You are the best bass player that I have ever worked with' or 'You are the best bass player that I have ever heard!' but I know that compared to Jaco, Victor Wooten and people like that I am not great.

I can play a groove, and play almost any style, but I am not Victor Wooten. not even close.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Tagging on to embellishers good points, most of the ones I know of who talk about their greatness are mediocre at best. The typical formula is: ego>ability.

Those people keep a lot of really good bassists laying low.

Then there are great bassists who just shame people such as myself. :rolleyes:
  4. im not humble
    ive been playing for almost three years and i still cant play a major scale
  5. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    There's no set criteria for determining what constitutes playing "pretty well" on a bass guitar. That's what I like about the instrument; a technical monster like Wooten isn't any more or less of an artist as someone who can play simply, like Pino Palladino or Joe Osborne.
  6. rubber chicken

rubber chicken Guest

Apr 7, 2001

you're probably right about that. i'm all right, but i don't go around saying "oh, oh, look at me, i'm the greatest".
  7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    actually, i got my cat sally to play the bass in the link in my sig :D i have a hard time even holding those things.

i mean, have you seen how big they are? :eek:
  8. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    <humble mode>
    I can't play bass worth a damn.
    </humble mode>

But frankly, I've come a long way, considering I've only been playing frequently for 4 years (just on and off with no teacher before that). But the road is long, still a long way to go. Very long. But I (hopefully) have my whole life in front of me to (hopefully) improve, so I have this feeling that I someday can call myself a very good bass player.

OK, enough daydreaming. Gotta practice.
  9. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    BassVirtuoso13 had no shame telling everyone how good he is and BTW he studies in Berkley... we learned what NOT to do around these forums...

i can´t tell that i´m "very good" because i have played for a year and a half... and i´m not playing the "humble game" :D ... but i can tell you that i´m growing up fast in bass playing... so watch out! ;)
  10. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Ive been playing for about 15 years now, and theres alot of stuff that I already know, I think Im just decent on a bass, after listening to people like Victor Whooten, Louis Johnson, John Patitucci, etc. Ive come to the conclustion that Im not as good as I should be and still have alot to learn. Im just decent at best. Maybe if i spent as much time with my hands on my bass latly as i have been this keyboard. Id get alot
  11. phogchris

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I'm with you, Cassanova, I've been playing for 10 years and feel I should be much better than I am, oh well!!! I need to spend half as much time playing as I do on this damn computer, then I would actually be pretty good!!!!
  12. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I'm with Cass, Phog and Embellisher. I've been playing for about 15 years now and I'm a decent player. I'm not Wooten, Hamm, or Miller and probably never will be. Those cats have devoted a lot more time than I have on our instrument. It's as simple as that. BUt, hey, I still have just as much fun as they do doing it. :)
  13. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I think it's the older guys who tend to be the most humble, because they've been exposed to more, and their standards are higher. I will always think I suck, because I've got a decent music background, and I know what guys who can REALLY play sound like. And it ain't 90% of the guys you hear on the radio.

But you get kids on here who are probably the only bass player in their little burg, and if they can shag three Korn tunes, they think they're God's gift. Sorry, but in the real world, with real musicians, you suck. ((Not directed at anyone here personally))

In my unit of about 350 people, there are six bassists that I know of, three of whom were music majors (including myself, although not on bass). And that's just the ones I know of. I run a crew of about twenty people, and at least five are actively involved in music. I am surrounded by musicians, and some are sh!t hot, some are not. Right now, I'm somewhere in the middle. It ain't where I want to be, but it's better than the bottom.

But there is always someone out there who is better than you are. And they're probably in the audience, picking you apart.
  14. I hope I never consider myself a good bass player. I find the need to improve is what drives me to improve. If I stop feeling the need to improve, I am afraid I won't.

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Words of wisdom.

All of you young hotshots out there(This is not directed at anyone in particular, only those of you who think that you are it;)) who think that you are great or approaching greatness need to print this and put it on your bathroom mirror where you can read it every morning.

And, my new signature.:)
  16. I'd question the use of "good" there- it's a bit harsh- if you know you're reasonably good you'll have confidence in your abilities- if you always think you "suck" as a player you're always going to be almost embarrassed to be on a stage.
    plus, you'd never be able to enjoy listening to stuff you've recorded.

I'd alter it to "I hope I never get to the stage when I feel I can't or don't need to improve".

my view of my playing is a mix of being confident about some aspects and embarrassed of others- and I'm not particularly proud of my playing with my present originals band (in particular the songs on but that's another story :( )- I could make various feeble excuses for that ("I'm playing for the song", "that was a rough demo that I hadn't really worked out a bassline for", "the studio teaboy mixed it, so that's why you can't really hear me" etc. etc.).

I've just uploaded a solo ("MTR") on my "Mock Turtle Regulator" page on it's a bit sloppy, but a step forward from previous recorded efforts anyway.
  17. I'm pretty damn good for the amount of time I've been playing, so what if I'm bragging. There.
  18. In my eyes, I'm a good bass player. I think if you can learn how to play songs you wanna play, then you are a good bass player. But thats just my opinion.
  19. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Mock - Was that your Hohner acoustic? At first, I thought it was a friggin' g*****r, until you hit the lower strings. It has a sort of "Baroque" vibe, IMO. Not as ethereal as some of your other stuff I've heard in the past. Nice work!

BTW, I thought I was a tapping fool till I heard that! ;)
  20. i think as long as nobody thinks they're good enough then they're safe, no one is good enough, you can always be better, NO ONE is perfect!!if any body posted something similar to this sorry, i didnt read in depth to all the replys