Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

can anyone reccomend a good 6 st?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by W32Hybris, Jan 19, 2004.

1. W32Hybris

W32Hybris

Jan 18, 2004
    south Florida
    howdy
    i'm looking for a good 6 string bass for around 600$. I'm willing to go a BIT over that if I have to, but that's more or less my limit.

I don't really want to go used since it is sooo hard to find exactly what you're looking for.

I've been looking like crazy on musiciansfriend and even google, and all i've found is some ibanez crap (i am a guitar convert, and to me, ibanez guitars suck. correct me if the basses don't :D )

Unless one of you has an old 6 lying around, I'd rather not go used :)

I like natural and dark blue or gray finishes. Claro Walnut is my favorite. I don't like anything that looks like a fender (the p bass look) body shape.

My dream bass is a peavey cirrus or carvin Lb76 claro walnut basses, if that can give you some comparison :)

Does anyone know of anything that is decent? Yall have a bit more experience than me :bassist:

2. I don't know what you don't like about ibanez guitars 'cause you didn't give any reasons.. So I'd have to recommend you to try a BTB406. It's an Ibanez of course.. I don't know if you included these on your "ibanez crap" statement, but if you didn't, check them out.

It's on the way of a cirrus because it has almost flat fingerboard, 35" scale, wide string spacing and variable midrange. It's in your price range definately and has great looks. I can't think of any other similar choice in that price range, and available everywhere.

3. W32Hybris

W32Hybris

Jan 18, 2004
    south Florida
    thx bud i'll definately check it out

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Also check out the Dean Edge Q6. I've heard it's a neck diver, but no other complaints and plenty of praise. Just slap a strap-button extender on it and you're golden!

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    For that price, the best you'll probably find is a used Carvin LB76 or Yamaha TRB. Or add one more string and find a used Conklin GT7.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I have an Ibanez SR406A. I got it very cheap ($800 bass for $300) at a special sale at Guitar Center. I haven't found anything not to like about it...the neck feels great, the pickups sound very good and there is a wide tone range available,etc.

Don't knock 'em 'till you try 'em I guess...

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Yamaha TRB 6 neck thru. You can find some used ones from $500-750. EXCELLENT basses!