Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can Anyone Reccomend an Intermediate Rig???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Jan 25, 2006.

1. I'm looking to replace my Randall practice amp after about a year with it. The sound is starting to fade, crack and pop, and just can't put out enough power or well-defined sound for me anymore.

So I'm starting to look for a new rig. I was thinking along the lines of another combo amp, since i never gig, or even play live with anyone. My main choice for awhile has been a Yorky 2x10 200watt combo. But lately, I've been giving a head/cab solution a second thought. I was looking into Hartke, but the aluminium cone kinda scared me. But then I realized, I dont know anything about what cones are made out of, and for all i know, Ampeg used the same thing. So I got a little more realistic and open, and was thinking SWR series.

Right now, I really don't have any direction as to what I should get. I spend most of my playing time in house. I'm playing some slap and tapping, as well as some jazzier stuff. I also need a rig that will define my 6 string's low B. Price-wise, I'd LOVE to keep it cheap as possible, and am not opposed to used gear either.

Can anyone give me a suggestion or some sort of direction?

thanks,
    -ryan-

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Avatar 212 sounds like a good fit for you. Maybe with one of the Ashdown heads on there.
    www.avatarspeakers.com

3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Your head is linked below in my sig... :smug:

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I like the yorkville Idea for several reasons. low price, High quality, loud, extension speaker output, yorkville!

5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I think a good direction in your case would be a combo amp with a good amount of power and the ability to run a second, "expandable" cab off it.

You mentioned SWR, so as any example I'll toss out the Workingman's/WorkingPro 2x10c 2x10" combo. 280 watts @ 8 ohms which is more than enough for bedroom practicing and even decent volume band/gigging situations. Adding another 8 ohm extention cab would give you 400 watts and taking into account the increase in speaker area is a great smaller rig, and one I was very close to buying. For slap and tapping SWR is a great choice, and right now the Workingman's line is being clearanced for the newer WorkingPro amps and are a great deal.

If you want to look to a head/cabinet choice the Avatar/Ashdown Mag deals are hard to beat as well - you'll certainly find enough Avatar supporters here, myself included.

6. I'm still keeping the idea of the Yorky combo + Expansion cab in my head... However, the Avatar and Ashdown, I'll have to look into, never looked into either. I'll also have to do a bit more of research on the SWR Workingman's line too.

Thanks for the promt replies!

-ryan-

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I'll second the idea of a decently powered 2x10 combo that you can later add a cab to. Something like the SWR Workingman's series amp, or even the Redhead if you're looking to shell out more cash. Carvin makes a pretty affordable one, and I can't say enough about my Peavey 210. I've played a Gallien-Krueger 2x10 combo that I really liked, as well. They're expandable, convenient all-in-one packages that are usually priced pretty well.

8. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Okay, all my subjective opinion only, and we all know what opinions are worth....

Hartkes have never sounded good to me. Carvin either. Or Peavey, but a Peavey will at least work forever.

GKs can sound solid, but generally are not so great at producing low-end fundamentals. Punchy, not deep. I don't like the Backline series.

SWR is not my sound, but it can produce a pretty good "bedroom tone" - I tend to prefer more mids to cut through in a group setting.

Only the high end Ashdown gear sounds good to me. I have no experience with Yorkville or Avatar products.

Although they can be difficult to manipulate, I've generally liked Fender amps.

I very much like Eden amps and speakers. You should definitely consider Eden's Nemesis products.

Best of luck in finding your tone!

9. Played on all three combos... 10" 12" and 15" Nemesis Silver and I hated all three, all of them hissed more than a cat cornered by a rotty... and thats before I plugged in too. Appreciate the info though, thank you.

I took a look at Ashdown's website, and a few online retailers and for the buck, they seem to be one of the best bargains around! I really like the 4x10" MAG combo with the MAG 300 head.

However, I have one question regaurding the Ashdown MAG line... The standard 4x10" cab is called "deep" and actually is larger than the combo version. Now, I would spend the EXACT same amount on the cab and head, as I would the combo. I know that for a fact enclosure size has a GREAT deal to do with the overall sound of a speaker (car audiophile here) so, do I go with the deep cab, or the combo?

I'm not tight on space in my room either, and to me, the deep cab sounds like it would sound better than the combo. Anyone have any experience?

PS. I think I might be crossing off SWR from my list. Some items seem a bit too pricey to me, and the Ashdown and Yorky's just appeal more to myself.

-ryan-

10. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I wouldn't do that quite yet.

SWR now has a 12" WorkingPro Combo that I have been looking at with considerable interest.

200w and only a little more expensive than the Fender Bassman 150 combo. I like the SWR tone. If I can find a local dealer that carries them to demo it with, and if I like it, I will get it.

:D

Joe.

P.S. Remember, Fender now owns SWR.

11. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Consider the Fender Bassman combo. I just purchased the 250/115, and I have been impressed so far with the range of tone and adjustability of this combo. I am capable of getting the crisp, punchy tone that I prefer. You can also get the more traditional, mellow tone by turning down the adjustable horn. The "Room Balance" feature on the amp allows for quick adjustment or compensation of any room without fiddling with the eq.

12. sublimate

sublimate

Jan 12, 2006
    They're blowing out the SWR Workingman combos at MF (and elsewhere I'm sure - they're being replaced with the Workingpro line). $499 for a 400 watt 2x10 combo is tough to beat. Plus it makes a great practice amp because, unlike most high power amps, it has no fan (so it's dead quiet) and it has a headphone out and a speaker off switch.

13. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    such as ME! i love my avatar 210. which will soon be joined by a 1 12.

great stuff. play thru an swr workingpro. and its amazing. definitely worth the extra 200 bucks over an ashdown.

plus, made in china vs north america. and a 5 yr warranty. all in all awesome.

14. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I'd say an Avatar 2x12 with a head of your choice. If I were you, I'd go used GK. They sound great, are very versatile, and are built like tanks.

15. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Avatar speakers offers Ashdown heads and cabs as a package. Check out the site.

Also, I note that MF is blowing out some Aguilar cabs.

16. Yorkville has the exact same thing.

I've been talking to a fellow member via AIM and he is highly suggesting to go GK, and he has an Avatar 2x10" that he says would be good for me. So it's either Aggy S Series or an Avatar for that solution (same speakers.) I think I'm going to look into how much a setup like that would cost.

I'll still keep SWR in my head, right behind Yorky. The Ashdown seems like a really good deal for the MAG 4x10-300 combo, anyone care to comment more on the MAG series?

Seems EVERYONE loves them some Aggy or Avatar around here, huh?

-ryan-

17. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I had Avatars for a while (1x12, 2x10, 4x10, 1x15) and now have Aggies (2x12, 2x10 and had a 1x12). The Aggies are a step up for sure. Not by leaps and bounds, but a step up...

18. dave_p

dave_p

Dec 20, 2005
    CT
    an swr workingmans 4004 and a genz-benz xb210 will do the trick nicely for modest cash. i really regret getting rid of both of those.