Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can Anyone reccomend where i can get....

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Johnny Fila, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    ....#10-32 threaded brass inserts.
    Specifically the type that Moses Graphite uses to attach their necks to bodies?
    Thanks.

2. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Word of advice:
    STEER CLEAR OF BRASS INSERTS!

Brass is a pretty weak metal, and the threads will strip like it's nobody's business. Go with steel ones, available here.

3. Teej has nailed it. You should save the brass inserts for use with brass screws and those aren't the best choice anyway for high stress applications. When you use a steel screw and brass insert, you can't torque the screw down without distorting the brass threads in most cases.

4. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I'm looking for a bit more help from you than that. :)

5. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    what size would you guys reccomend? I have already drilled the neck for the inserts that came with it and installed 2 of the brass inserts, the other 2 broke since I refused to look at directions (duh!)
    what direction should the slot go? into the neck? or facing the body?

6. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Slot? Do you mean the slot to screw them in? They should be facing the body. As for size, I usually use #10-32 or #8-32.

7. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    that mcmaster's should work out a-OK, i checked it out.
    it would seem though that the other choice is stainless steel in the 10-32 size, which is a farily soft metal also.
    would you recco SS over brass?

8. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    The slots actually aren't for screwing them in. I was finally able to get the Moses website working (the directions part comes up when it feels like it) and the slots face into the neck (they thread in first). I found it next to impossible to install them slot end up, the hole is way too tight in that position and if you try to screw them in via screw driver they break.
    you gotta use the 10-32 screw, put on the nut, then the insert. put it flush with the screw, lock the nut to the insert and install the insert using a wrench to turn the nut, which threads the insert into the neck.
    Moses website says to turn the 10-32 screw, but it unlocks from the nut and insert when you do that, which is annoying, so I found that by using the wrench and the nut method, it was pretty easy actually.

9. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    yeah, i would use stainless steel, as opposed to brass. it's too bad they don't make these things out of depleated uranium... or do they?

10. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I'll have to Google that :)

11. I'm sorry I didn't live up to your expectations.

It's the first time I've been accused of not giving enough free help.

12. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I didn't mean it that way, sorry, that didn't come across properly. :) I apologize. You probably didn't see my other thread where I was complaining and moaning about Moses. I was expecting you to chime in, as I know your past experiences with him.

anyways, the possibility exists that for some reason I may have missed the exact spots when drilling. the second screw is barely not lining up with the insert properly and won't thread in.
    I'll see what happens when the other inserts arrive and I install them. I might need your help. Thats what I meant to imply.

13. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I wonder how would you fix misaligned holes in a graphite neck, so that you can redrill? Fill the holes with epoxy? I don't think you can dowel and wood glue those like you can a wooden neck. :smug: