Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

can anyone recognize that song?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by air_leech, Dec 18, 2001.

1. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    I heard in the radio a song that sounded very familiar to me and since then I've been trying to identify it.
    it's deffinetly an 80's ballade, it has only drums, bass and saxophone on it and female vocals.
    the singer sounds a bit like Kim Carnes ("bette davis eyes") but the song is very minoric.

I couldnt actually remember the words except than random words such as: "what will be will be", "you said goodnight politely" in the verses and "I wonder if you stay now" in the choruses.
    there are big sounding drum fills near the end of the song followed by a sax solo (that got me looking for this song in the first place).

sorry if my description is a little vague, I couldnt find any clue as to who performed the song or whats it called.
    I will thank you guys if you could help me out on this one.

2. DiegoMcgee

DiegoMcgee

Oct 20, 2001
    Providence RI
  3. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    thanks for the reply Diego,
    unfortunatly its not the song I was looking for.
    the one I meant has a much slower beat.

the singer sounds very similar though, kind of gritty voice like patti smith.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Quarterflash? Man, that's a blast from the past!
    ...and that reminded me of Martha Davis & The Motels' "Only The Lonely"('slow' tune + a sax solo; the words don't match air_leech's example, though).

Air_Leech-
    Would '80s MTV have had a video of this tune?

5. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    I'm not sure Jim, I was busy watching Transformers and G.I. Joe in the 80's :D

maybe it has a clip but I haven't picked it up on VH1
    in the 4+ years its been picked in cable tv here.

I would guess the song is more mid-late 80's as it lacks the new-wave chorus effect that every artist who felt he/she is hip used back then.
    it just sounds like the adult contemporary style like Black Velvet, Power of Love (the jennifer rush's song not huey lewis'!! :)), Twist In My Sobreity and Because the Night (Natalie Marchent version) in terms of how the mix sounds and the focus on the female vocalist's part.

I'm very sure its not a band but rather a singer.

6. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    I heard the song again on the radio yesterday, but still I couldnt pick the lyrics out (it was in a mall mind you).
    I did however notice there is a piano in that song and the singer sounds more like bonnie tyler than patti smith.

hope someone on here knows that song.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This sounds like "Stay" from Shakespeare's Sister - which was a big hit in the UK many years ago. There were two female singers who were both famous in their own right - one as Eric Clapton's backing singer and the other from Bananarama and also for being Dave Stewart's (Eurythmics) partner. Not Annie lennox that is - his "romantic" partner!

It had an amazing video and was number One in the charts for quite a while.

8. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    thanks Bruce, I know the Shakespeare's Sister song (and the video) and its not the song I'm reffering too, though I think the vampiric singer in the clip was quite hot :)

the particular radio station I heard the song on has a tendacy to put old songs that were hits only here in Israel. they still play Adam Ant's "Wonderful" from time to time or Morissey's "Big Mouth Strikes Again" for instance.

9. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    A song by T'Pau perhaps??
    :confused:

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    On an '80s tangent...
    Quarterflash got me thinking about another similiar '80s MTV-style band called The Eurogliders(the girl lead singer also played sax).
    The album I have is called This Island, the 'hit' was "Heaven"(in the video, the bassist is playing a black Steinberger).

11. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    alright I found the song.

its called "Will You" by a singer called Hazel O'connor, it was released in 1980.

thanks for the replys and feedback from you guys, I really recomend you to hunt down this song and give it a listen, its one of the most saddest songs I ever heard and it has a very expressive sax solo.

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I do remember this quite well although I'm not sure I really liked the song; but a band I was in then got some contacts from the guy who was playing that Sax solo! The guitarist in the band knew him - I think he lived locally in Brighton - and got him to play on some of their demos. It's all a bit vague in my mind, but this did help us get a record deal eventually.

13. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    Bruce,
    the sax player's name is Wesley McGoogan.
    I havent heard anything else he did but his playing on this particular song is great, espiceally if you consider most sax solos in rock and pop in that decade had the instrument squelling like it was played with an air compressor and was run throgh tons of chorus.