1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can anyone recomend a good amp/settings for metal

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rattle_head, Aug 18, 2012.

1. rattle_head

rattle_head

Jan 15, 2012
    Hi i my current rig is my esp ltd d5, an ampeg micro vr with the 210 av cab, and a sansamp bass driver di used as a stomp box. i play all styles but mainly metal (mostly in standard tuning) my problem is that when i play even with the bass and turned down at about 10'o clock, my amp sound like its about to explode (i do have the -15db and limiter swich on). i think the active bass and sansamp is to much power for my amp and was wondering what a good upgrade would be, or if anyone could give me some advice on the sansamp settings for geting a good crunchy, but not overwhelming tone (i just got my sansamp about a week ago from my local guitar shop and it didnt come with a manual) thanks and sorry for the long post.

Oh and would getting the second 210 av cab possibly improve the power and sound quality of the amp? i heard that there was some problems with running 2 cabs.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    More spkrs are always a good idea, but there is no "metal setting" on any amp. EQ is there to sculpt your tone to whatever sounds best to you. Sounds like you're overloading the input a bit, try backing off the gain on everything BEFORE the amp. You should only need the -15dB pad button if you can't get the preamp gain low enough not to clip.

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Nothing general as each band is unique, and each player needs to find their own tones.

I been listening to some metal and think I get the appeal.

What I hear
    Bass needs to get out of the way of the drums.
    Bass also needs to fill in for lack of a rhythm guitar or keyboard

Cut the bass, get the distortion and compression up in the midrange.
    Don't be afraid of getting a couple of pedals and switching them in and out for different songs, or different parts of the same song. It's actually a cool effect to sound thin on part of the song, then come woofing in on another.

Tweak. Have fun.

4. Worldeeeter

Worldeeeter Banned

Mar 29, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    Mesa makes great amps for metal. If you can find a Carbine (M6 or M9), you be very happy with the tone. It'll take whatever input you throw at it, too.
    Oh, and settings: set to "on". :)

5. rattle_head

rattle_head

Jan 15, 2012
    yea i guess the "metal tone" im looking for is somthing close to this

6. not sure what strings you use but a set of roundwounds should give a little raspiness, grind, and brightness to your tone.

7. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Amp settings for metal are easy. Try Bass 6, Mids 6, Treble 6 \M/

8. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Maybe run the Sansamp's Level super low (and make sure one of the little switches is on Instrument not Line). I find the pedal can be pretty hot since the Drive also acts kind of like a volume.

The Sansamp should be a good complement for your Ampeg and you should be able to get the type of sound you are looking for pretty easily. Don't be afraid to cut lows as much as you need to (the Ampeg is probably voiced with plenty of booty naturally, and the Sansamp has a huge/wide Bass control). I generally cut lows and boost mids on my head since the Sansamp is more about huge lows and upper mids/highs.

9. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
  10. Eleven.

11. It depends how much or how little sonic space is left between kick and guitars.

12. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    I peed a little.

I find the best settings are slightly dropped mids, kicked up bass and treble. Simple. The clangy booming sound is a standard in most metal bands I listen too.

13. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    crank the mids or you'll get lost in the muddy bottoms...

14. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    Never had that problem

15. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Most bands I've heard that use this kind of sound for bass, the actual notes the bassist is playing disappear whenever the guitars are playing.

It really depends on what the guitar sounds are like and what the drummer is doing, however.

My metal bass sound tends to have a ton of midrange. In my doom band, there's quite a bit more low end than with my black metal band, due to the presence of double kick drum in the latter and not wanting to be trying to cover the same frequencies.

16. monti2889

monti2889

Jul 19, 2012
    sounds like rounds played with a pick for one.
    amp settings...high mids boosted, highs cut, low mids, little boost , bass cut, then deep switch (Ultra lows) on.

following starters are relative to analog clock
    bass 9 low mid 2 mid 1 high mid 3 high 10
    Every amp is going to react a little differently to certain settings but on my amp this would get me pretty close, then I would tweek to taste.

17. carpetdoor

carpetdoor

Aug 5, 2012
    For something slose to this and metal IMO. You should set your amp for a good clean tone with a good amount of everything but a little bit of a spike in the high mid, then change the low lows depending on the room and the day in question to fit in with the drums and guitar. Use you sans amp for a light grit tone that you will probably and up using on most of the time but then you can turn it off off clean sections and the like to get a warm clean tone. for the sound on this clip i'd say an easy way would be to get an MXR M-80 and have the colour swith on which will immediately give you a sound kinda like this this you can tweak the eq on the mxr to replicate this kind of sound. With the MXR you will also have a second ditortion channel for really heavy bits.

In short: clean channel, grit channel, heavy distorion channel and your set. IMO

18. carpetdoor

carpetdoor

Aug 5, 2012
    and a pick

19. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    I recently bought a BDDI and I use it purely for a grindy pick playing tone. I have the blend set low so I can hear the edgy distortion just enough without losing my clean bass tone. The Treble is set at noon, Bass knob is set at 9 o' clock to allow more midrange to come through, Presence knob is all the way to the left, Drive is set to 3 o' clock or more. Volume to taste.

The low end is HEAVILY boosted with that pedal when the knobs are at the noon settings.

Try setting the pedal like that, keep the VR head at neutral settings to start. Don't push any other switches or buttons in. Your rig can only do so much tone wise and if you are boosting the low end heavily (which is TOO EASY to do with the BDDI), you will not get any where. A 210 can only go so far.

20. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    One little sealed 2x10 cab? There's your trouble. A second identical one, stacked vertically TB-style, would help a lot.