1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can anyone recommend a DL4 replacement?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MonkeyBass, Aug 7, 2012.

1. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Mar 22, 2009
    Denver, CO
    I did the usual search thing... Couldn't find a thread this specific.

I've had a Line 6 DL4 for about 10 years. Never had a problem until recently. Now it stays on for a few seconds, then turns itself off. I've heard this is a common issue.

Can anyone recommend a replacement for the DL4? A more reliable brand that has the same functions? I loved the sounds and versatility of the DL4. But the quality just isn't there.

Thanks

2. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I'm really not familiar with the DL4 but the Bodd DD-20 does a bunch of delay stuff with a rudimentary looper and 4 programmable presets. It has 23 seconds I believe as well as tap tempo etc.

3. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Mar 22, 2009
    Denver, CO
    That DD20 looks cool but I like the knobs on the DL4. Anything with those easy-to-use knob features?

4. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    The EHX Stereo Memory Man w/Hazarai has a similar set of features but not all the same. What did you like that you want to keep that the DL4 has? The DL4 has some looping tricks that are unique to it I thought but if you just want a good delay/looper with presets the SMMH I mentioned is a good route along with many others. 10 years is a pretty good run with that pedal if it was used a lot.

5. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Mar 22, 2009
    Denver, CO
    I like the three buttons and no banks. I get lost in banks.

I also like that you can treat the repeats like a real analog delay and get some tweeky feedback effects.

6. aens_wife

aens_wife Commercial User

Jun 14, 2011
    Co-owner, Dwarfcraft Devices
    Have you taken it in to see if it can be repaired?

If you really love the features of the DL4, I would just get another one. Pedals break sometimes...I guess I wouldn't assume that the pedal is poor quality if you used it for 10 years.

7. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Mar 22, 2009
    Denver, CO
    True!! I've been reading reviews of the DL4 and a lot of people have had horrible luck with them breaking. But since I got 10 years out of mine I figured it was the new ones that are junk.

Anyone have a new one? Does it work ok?

8. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Have you considered taking the plunge on an Eventide Timefactor? Not cheap but incredibly powerful.

9. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Mar 22, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Ooooo That's cool!!! A bit out of my price range though. But, wow that's cool.

10. EskimoBassist

EskimoBassist

Nov 2, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    The Vox Timelab could be right up your street.

11. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Mar 22, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Yeah that's cool. Looks about like what I'm after. Do you happen to know the quality of it? Will it last me another 10 years?

12. cycler

cycler

Oct 6, 2010
    go over to thegeasrpage.net and do a search. THere are a few guys there who not only repair but can add a few very useful mods and even replace the LED color and custom paint. You'd be amazed what can be done...and by guitar players no less.....who knew ?

13. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Mar 22, 2009
    Denver, CO
    OH yeah?!?! I'll scope it out. Thanks for the tip.

14. MaxMaps

MaxMaps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, Oregon
    being an owner of the vox time line, I can say that it is sturdy enough and sounds great.

if it will last 10 years is one thing.

However like a few people here have said you may want to reconsider having your DL4 repaired or modded buy an independent builder if you are that in love with it.

15. Get a Line 6 M5. You get an updated version of the same delays in the DL4, but better... plusssssss all kind of effects !

16. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Mar 22, 2009
    Denver, CO