Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can anyone recommend a good 5-string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by InfinityJaco, May 3, 2005.

1. InfinityJaco

InfinityJaco

Jun 5, 2001
    Illinois
    I'm looking to buy a new 5-string bass and currently play a Warwick Infinity LTD 2000 4-string. I saw that they make an Infinity SN (Set Neck) 5-string for $2200 and am considering getting it, but was wondering if anyone can recommend any other decent 5-string basses around that range? I think I like Modulus but can't remember because I played one probably 4 years ago...

I'm looking for something with a very modern sound - lots of mid-range and clarity, I'm not a Fender guy so nothing that resembles a Fender in any way, shape, form, or tone (I'm selling a '62 Reissue Jazz if anyone is interested). I like a very low action as well - which can obviously be adjusted, but some necks are just built better, which I'm looking for. I may possibly put on a high C-string and get a Hipshot Xtender, but may also keep the low B.

Thanks
    Chris :confused:

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Id consider a Dingwall Afterburner II. Its capable of the vintage tones, but also has a very modern sound if you want it. Also, having banjo frets, you can get lower action overall than with a lot of basses. The only downside to that is your neck has to be very straight with almost no relief to get that lower action. Its also well within your price range, and most people that sell them have a money back guarentee so if its not your cup of tea, you could always return it without a problem.

You might also look at www.skjolddesign.com. Pete is building my next custom bass for me very soon here and he makes an outstanding bass.

3. +1 on the Dingwall. It has many of the things you're looking for. I think once you hear the low B, you'll want to keep it. If you like a clear, growling tone with lots of sustain, the Dingwall will do it.

4. Well, I have nothing else to compare it to, but I can finally say that I posted on a 5 stringer thread, which makes me feel pretty good about myself. I use to own an Ibanez EDA905. I liked it and thought it was good. So I'll recomment it.

5. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Spector makes some darned nice 5 strings too, the Euro neck-thrus are in the same price range as that Warwick. Much different sound than the Warwick, but worth checking out.

6. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
  7. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Do yourself a favour, and get a Sadowsky metro! If you like the jazz bass sound and shape, get one of those. It you are more into modern basses, get the Modern 5.

8. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    You'll kick yourself if you don't look into Roscoe basses.
    The LG3005 or the SKB3005 are right in your price range and are pretty much dead on what you're looking for.
    Check out roscoeguitars.com and do a search here about Roscoe basses and you'll see the results.
    Huge modern tone, one of the best low Bs in the business and just all around fantastic instruments.
    Keith Roscoe is also fantastic to work with if you're looking to have one custom built. There are also several Roscoes available at places like BassCentral, Seaco music, etc.
    Just my opinion as one very happy Roscoe bass owner.

9. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I gotta tell you, I haven't been able to play many (yet), but I am fallin' hard and fast for Pedullas. I've played two Raptures and a Pentabuzz, and I loved 'em all. If you get the chance, give one a spin. They seem to have a lot of similar characteristics to jazz basses, but with a lot more flexibility and better build quality. I thought I was through with bass GAS for a while after pickin' up my Cirrus 6, but my eyes are starting to wander once more...

10. Say what you want, Id get a Bongo 5.