Can anyone recommend a good British webshop?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by gazzabom, Jul 15, 2001.

1. gazzabom

gazzabom Guest

Apr 9, 2001
    I'm looking for a new bass at the moment and the music shops around me dont have very good prices on their guitars compared to say (after i change the prices from $ to £). So does anyone know any good and reliable British webshops I can go to?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Sadly, the difference in price is about more than web or not web - stuff in the US, particularly (and obviously) US made stuff is much cheaper (or US sourced stuff - if it's made in the Far East or Central America, it may well have been made in an Export Product Zone, or EPZ, where import and export tax don't need to be paid, so that companies based in the west can take advantage of the lax labour laws and low wages in third world countries, without being hit with big taxes, meaning that the country of source has a big impact on the price, rather than the country of manufacture...)

MusicYo is international as far as I know, so if you have no problem with Chinese made instruments, then try that. Otherwise, your best bet is to save up and go to a city - an apex return on the train is probably going to cos less than the difference in buying locally and buying further away.

The other option is to talk nicely to the people in the local shops, explain your predicament, and ask them to help - if they risk losing a sale altogether, they may be able to cut you some kind of deal, especially if you put the word around about the shop, and take your friends there. In the long run, it'll serve you better to support your local music shop if you can - local means that things are more readily available, like strings and quick repairs etc...

I'm just unbelieveably lucky that my nearest music shop is The Gallery in Camden!! how cool is that? one of the best bass shops in the world, practically on my doorstep... :oops:)

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You can check out some German web shops, perhaps they're easier on your wallet than the U.S. shops.

more later
  4. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001