1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can anyone recommend a good UK based repair guy?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Apr 29, 2010.

1. One of my basses is in need of a refret. Was planning to attempt it myself, but large periods of spare time are non-existant right now.

Would prefer someone in Scotland so I can drop it off, but wouldn't be opposed to posting it to get it fixed.

Cheap is often a good thing too! :bag:

(or even giving a hint as to the sort of price it should cost for a refret)

- Will

2. nickbass79

nickbass79

Nov 11, 2009
    North Carolina
  3. Cheers for the links guy's

I tried to contact Jimmy Egypt a few weeks ago, had no response to a phone call and never replied to the email I sent afterwards :-\ (as you can guess, with a website address like that it popped up near the top when I googled :D ).

Do either of you have experience (1st hand or otherwise) using the companies you've listed?

4. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    I've used Strung Out for a couple of repairs in recent years. They're lovely people!

5. Got a quote back from strung out, they must be good because their quote is about double what everyone elses was :-\ (in the region of £300)

6. £300 is a fair whack of cash...
    Used strung out to have a les paul set up once and they were grand. Don't know why they'd charge so much more than other shops.
    My guitar playing mate has used jimmy egypt, or one of the other guys in his shop, and always been happy with the results.