Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can anyone recommend me Epic/Atmospheric Black Metal? (Like Original Dimmu)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Turbo, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Turbo

Turbo

Mar 17, 2004
    Illinois
    I'm talking about music that sounds like "For All Tid" and "Stormblast"

Anyone?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Moved to Recordings.

3. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I didn't know that other people liked black metal here. If you are into the ambient stuff, listen to Burzum. It's Varg Vikerness's solo stuff.

4. Turbo

Turbo

Mar 17, 2004
    Illinois
    95% of what I listen to is black metal.

and I love it :hyper:

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    There were a couple of big black metal threads a while back. One of them started by me, entitled "Does Black Metal Suck?" So, you know what my opinion is on the subject... regardless... that thread had lots of recommendations for bands.

6. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Heres a link to a BM thread I started a few weeks ago. My Favorites are Dimmu Borgir, Mayhem, Craddle of Filth, My Dying Bride, & Dark Throne. Check out Aggaloch & Borknagar both recommended to me here. Awesome atmospheric stuff.

7. symbolic_acts

symbolic_acts

May 24, 2004
    i absolutely love bm too

burzum - hvis lyset tar oss and ulver - bergtatt are probably the 2 best bm album ever recorded imo.

others that are atmospheric and great:
    emperor - anthems and in the nightside eclipse
    darkthrone - second, third and fourth album
    nokturnal mortum - lunar poetry
    immortal - pure holocaust and diabolical fullmoon mysticism

those are the most atmospheric ones i can think of atm

8. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Check out Agalloch, they aren't totally black metal, more doomy with some BM elements, but they are very atmospheric in the same vein as Borknagar.

Two of my other favorites are Storm of the Light's Bane by Dissection and North From Here by Sentenced. Sentenced was actually a very technical black metal act once upon a time, before they noticed how much money could be made sounding like The Cure...

NFH stands out as the high water mark of the entire technical black metal style for me.

9. Turbo

Turbo

Mar 17, 2004
    Illinois
    The bassline in Dodsford by Dimmu Borgir (off of the album "Stormblast") is one of my favorite

10. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
  11. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Check out Lymbonic Art

12. old man's child/anorexia nervosa do a pretty good job of this i think. there's a local blackened death metal band that i really dig called winterthrall...check them out: http://www.myspace.com/winterthrall especially "...and the meek shall inherit nothing," it's a killer track.