Can anyone recommend some good wines?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Hey, my Dad drinks wine. He said he likes Eastern Europe wine (ex. Hungary) and South African wines.

I'm going to get him one or two bottles for Christmas.

Can anyone recommend some good brands?
  2. just_a_poser

Apr 20, 2002
    Are we there yet?

3. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    Ok, the only wine that I can really think of is German from Fetzer called (spelling is going to be wacked, so please forgive me) Gerverdominer something or is a semi sweet, semi dry white wine, and very suttle, but very tasty for the buds, hope that helps:D
  4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

You may be thinking of Gewuerztrammer, a semi-sweet white dessert wine.
  5. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    By George, I think you may be right, and me thinks you spelled it correctly.:D
  6. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Ah Gewurztraminer. Truth be told though, I'm not so sure about Fetzer being a good representative of said wine. Gewurztraminers usually don't fair well in California climates, although if you are going to go with one, Mendocino County, (where Fetzer is), isn't a bad choice. I usually suggest a Gewurztraminer from New Zealand. If you are going to go California, Navarro, from Anderson Valley in Mendocino County makes a nice one.

It really depends on what kind of wine your father drinks. South Africa and Eastern Europe both make red and white wines, and while many wine-drinkers like both, they usually have a preference. Does he like red or white?

For whites, I suggest South Africa's Western Cliff, Baobab. They have a wonderful 2001 Sauvignon Blanc, and it's fairly affordable.
  7. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    I dont drink, and wine tastes like **** to me. But my mouth is watering after reading that. :D
  8. You know, this thread has some dangerous potential for some really pad puns.
    Thread closed.
  9. No!!! Not yet!

My dad prefers red wines. He usually drinks Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon. I think his preference is for wines that are not too sweet so the dessert wines are out.
  10. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    My family owns Sable Ridge Vineyards in Sonoma Valley. If you email them off the website tell them that I sent you (Steve Barr) and that I said to give you the "Friends of Sable Ridge" discount.

I recommend out '99 Petite Syrah which is a Gold Medal winner or for a nice all around red try our 2000 Meritage blend which is primarily a blend of Merlot & Cab (I made that one personally!).

Sable Ridge Vineyards Website
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I must say that this summer I really got a taste for the wines of Keffalonia - one of the Greek Islands )setting for Captain Corelli's Mandolin film) - my particural favourite was Zephyros Breeze - but I liked them all!
  12. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Get an Spanish wine, from La Rioja, they made the best wine in the world.......