Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can anyone review PEAVY MAX 160?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TBASS, Oct 7, 2004.

1. TBASS

TBASS

Sep 17, 2004
    Tulsa, Ok.
    I would like to hear any opinions about the sound, power, and quietness of this amp.
    Thanks, Tbass

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Haven't played one, but at MSRP $417 and only 100 Watts at 8 Ohms, I think you can do much better for the price.

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I used to own a Peavey DeltaBass head, which is now the Max 160 (same amp, different looks).

First, I think the amp sounded great! The EQ options were versatile enough to go from modern Slap tones to Old School Rock. It's an all solid-state amp, so it's very quiet with no humming or buzzing.

Now, for the power...
    Unless you have a big, efficient speaker cab, 160w is not going to be very loud. My DeltaBass would just barely get by for small gigs. That's why I sold it.

If you're interested in the Peavey Max line of amps, I would highly recommend spending a little more money and getting the Max 450 or 700.

4. TBASS

TBASS

Sep 17, 2004
    Tulsa, Ok.
    Thanks Eric & slater. I know the amp is low powered but I only need it for home practice and playing with acoustic players (guitar,dobro,banjo,etc.) mostly in home venues. I quit gigging some 25 years ago. I'm looking for a silent as possible head without spending to much for now to replace my carvin pb300 which has a very noisy fan.
    Thanks, Tbass

5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The Max 160 should be fine then.

FWIW, you may want to look for a used Peavey Session Bass head. It's a 200 watt head, smaller and lighter than the Max 160, and is at least as good as, if not better than, the Max 160 sound-wise. I've seen them sell for about $200...

6. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Old thread, but if you are still considering, I have a Sessionbass, and use it for similar kinds of playing as you are. It is a great amp, very nice pre-amp flexibility, clean wide-range sound, and silent electronics, except for the fact that it, also, has a very loud fan. Go with the Deltabass or Max 160 (which I believe also has no fan??) if you are going to be playing in acoustic settings and the fan noise bothers you. All of them are in the 130w->8ohm, 200w->4 ohm power range and have I believe identical preamps.