1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can Anyone Say "No More Gas" and What Cured It?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jzbass6, Mar 14, 2008.

1. jzbass6

jzbass6 One Nation Under A Groove

I wanted funky 6-string and finally found it in a bass I thought I'd never own, a Peavey Cirrus Bubinga 6 (Funk Heaven). If so what bass did it for you?

2. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    sounds like a cool bass, congrats!

i'm generally pretty satisfied...i put together a fretless jazz and sold my geddy lee, and i love my sound...the only thing i'm considering is a lighter amp to carry around some of the time

of course, this being said, someday i'd like to add a fretted bass maybe

3. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Good old Fender Precision (Japan) cured me. Great playability and sound for not alot of money.

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I have gone through dozens of basses lately.

I am pretty set now with my Sadowsky MS5 for a 5er (might clean house a bit more and trade for a Stingray 5 for a backup) and 2 Stingray 4 strings (2007LE and 30th Anniversary) and my Sadowsky NYC 4.

I really don't NEED anything else and I can finally say that there is nothing else I really WANT.

See how long that lasts though!

5. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    My natural Japanese Fender 1975 Reissue Jazz, with the maple fretboard
    All black, natural, and chrome :D

That's cured my BASS gas.
    Don't get me started on pedals and live rigs. :atoz:

6. Kennethfaria

Kennethfaria Banned

Mar 12, 2008
    might think im joking but i get exactly the sound i want from my brice hxb4-5.
    How did that happen?
    2 hours plus of setting up and buying some nickel wound XL's. Oh i also bought some lemon since the neck was looking pretty dull if you will. Put a few coats on (hasn't been "oiled" before im sure) and i've got a nice dark rosewood FB.

7. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I can honestly say, "no more GAS for me." The right collection of gear did it for me. I've been flipping basses and amps for years; now I have everything I could need.

Ric 4003MG, Fender AmDlxP4, MM SR4, Warwick Thumb NT, Warwick Infinity LTD, Ampeg SVT-2 Pro/610HLF, Mesa 400+/PH 8x10.

Sure, it would be nice to have another Spector or Nordstrand, but I won't bother going through the hassle of pursuing them. I just cannot think of anything else that I could have a real-world use for.

8. Yes Sir I can!

I still see the ocassional bass that I drool over (although not nearly as often) I am completley content with both my basses (2001 Ric 4003 - 2004 MIA Deluxe QMT Jazz - 62RI P USA - 75RI Jazz USA and not to be forgotten 57RI P) and my amp situation.

and, having recently purchased a MarkBass combo (CMD 121P) for practices and "small" gigs to complete my Ampeg Rig, I have gotten over the compunction for "new stuff"........at least for now!

My Wife says "Thank God!"

9. I pretty content right now with everything I have. I'm sure however, that I may add a few more things down the line but as of right now there is nothing that I gotta have right away.

10. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    GAS cannot be cured. It can only be pushed into remission.

11. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    Having owned 50+ basses (most of them on the very high end of the spectrum) I felt I have acquired most of the knowledge I was looking for. So now I am in the process of thinning down the herd down to 20-25 basses. I am still expecting a very custom Prima Artist Dingwall in couple of yrs, but I fell I am GAS cured for the time being.

12. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    With my Roscoe SKB3005 and newly acquired Sadowsky UV70 5 string I am "almost" satisfied. If I can get a Ken Smith Black Tiger 5 or even a BSR5MW in walnut I would be "totally" satisfied.

13. A week heliskiing in the Chugach, AK did for me for a while.

Standing and dropping these lines is a mind warping and life changing experience. Scary and thrilling. I mean it.

My Sadowsky J bass did it. I now get other gear for fun and life is short. But I'd be totallly content with the one bass.
    However, ...this really did it to me for a while.

cloudandtopswelandon.

Sphinxhelicircle.

sphinxwithheliatpeakandskiers.

glacialsnowcaveandskier.

14. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I'm a P bass guy.

I have a few really smokin' sounding and playing P's.

They give me all I need and want out of a bass, so no G.A.S. for me.

In 25+ years of playing, I've always had at least one P, and even though I've owned and played lots of other stuff, that's what I always go back to.
    They just work perfectly for me. No need or desire for anything else.

ADDED: the one that actually cured any G.A.S. I had was * surprising even to me* my LPB SX P copy. Second best sounding P I've ever played. It's , my perfect "workhorse" bass.

15. tigersuit

tigersuit

Dec 20, 2006
    Los Angeles
    My Rickenbacker cured my GAS for awhile, but I can feel it slowly creeping back in.

16. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1.

Most of the people who honestly don't have ANY GAS usually don't hang out at TB in the basses section, either.

I'm pretty content with my collection though. It's only rarely that I see something on the classifieds that I would really like to have.

17. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    My new Bongo 5 HHP (white PG over Desert Gold) pushed my GAS into remission. For a while, anyway... Ooooh, lookit that nice Dingwall... never mind... ;^)

18. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    As far as amps/cabs are concerned I'm cured. I've found 3 rigs that do what I want: one for solo practice/extreme portability, one for the best tone with disregard for weight and one light/loud/cutting for the gig.

When it comes to basses, however, I'm still in need of a 12-step program and intensive care, LOL. I hope to have this cured within 6 months when current pending orders are filled.......but I've said that before and the fever rages on.....

19. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    That's been my experience. I want to re-organize my cab situation (sell two, buy one), but I'm GAS free for basses after just purchasing a 2008 Fender Am. Standard Jazz V. It's my first five, and if I end up playing it regularly, I'll probably want another. So more GAS probably awaits just over the horizon.

20. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I recently picked up a Roscoe 4 string in a trade and I am so happy with it that I find myself completely ignoring the classifieds here.

I have a custom Garz 5 string coming in about a week so that, teamed with my Roscoe 4 have really quelled the GAS pains.

Not sure if it will stay that way for a long time, but for now I am very happy with my basses and my rig.