1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can anyone see a difference in these bridges?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bumperbass, Jun 27, 2012.

1. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Here's the Gotoh 201:
    http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/images/large/BB-0356-010.jpg

Here's the 'economy':
    http://guitarpartsresource.com/images/large/BB-E4-C.jpg

The Gotoh is listed at $ 44.99.
    The 'economy' is listed at $ 18.99.

They look the same to me. Is there a mis-representation here or maybe a mistake, OR....maybe it's the same bridge?

Anyway, I am looking for a more solid replacement for my Precision and even this economy model looks like it has the grooves under the saddle height screws to prevent movement.

Any ideas? Anybody want to comment if you own the 'economy' model? Call me cheap, call be frugal, or call me broke. I don't care. HA!

2. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    The "Economy" bridge seems to have the two additional side rails that the Gotoh 201 doesn't have. Aside from that, it appears to be a pretty close copy. I will say, that AFAIK the 201 should be a direct fitment replacement bridge for most Fender basses. On that "Economy Bridge" I would ask the seller for a mounting screw layout to be sure that they arent different and match up with the bridge You have now, instead of having to drill some extra holes in Your bass to save the $26.00.

3. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    This is what they say under the 'economy' description:

BB-E4-C
    Chrome 4-string economy bass bridge. Heavy-duty cast base design with adjustable barrel saddles. String spacing is 2-1/4"(57mm). Retrofits many Fender® models with 5 mounting screws.

There's a guy on here that's used these with success and no issues. Makes me wonder.

4. FenderBassist

FenderBassist In the land of drummers, the bass player is king.

Oct 28, 2005
    Gilbert, AZ
    Besides the excellent comment regarding screw spacing, the only other question I would have for seller is the difference in material (brass vs white metal?).

5. Ask the seller about his return policy.

6. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    Here's what it says:
    "Heavy-duty cast base design with adjustable barrel saddles. String spacing is 2-1/4"(57mm). Retrofits many Fender® models with 5 mounting screws".
    Heavy duty cast. Aluminum, then?

7. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    The difference in price is often caused by the finish. Cast metal should be deburred. This takes some time and makes it a little more expensive. This can be easily done afterwards. The rest of the difference lies in the brand name, I suppose.

8. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    At that price it's most likely a zinc alloy. There's nothing wrong in using zinc for a bridge. It's dense and stiff and plates well. If you compare the distance from the outer screw holes to the edge of the bridge, the economy model looks to be a taste wider, if the hole spacing is the same.

mech

9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    cheap pot metal bridge 1 vs cheap pot metal bridge 2.

even the gotoh is hollow under that thick section in the back; it's not even all that "high mass".

what's this bridge going to replace?

10. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    I wanted to replace the stock MIM 2000 P-Bass bridge, but I don't think it's worth it, at this time. I've read so many posts on here about bridges.
    I played a P in '74 for almost 4 years and I never bothered with the bridge then.

11. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

I wouldn't call zinc "cheap pot metal" because it isn't. Pot metal is pot metal, brittle and full of voids. Zinc cast is nearly void free. That's why the striker wheels.on Bic lighters is made from it. Hard and dense.

Still I agree, don't bother swapping, not worth it.

12. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    fair enough about the zinc.

as for the MIM bridge, the cool trick is to just get some vintage-style threaded-rod saddles for it. you can improve the string spacing and eliminate the sliding around, and they're like $20.

13. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

YUP.

14. The main difference I can see is that one of them has a little 5 letter word embossed on it.The other one hasn't.

15. There were several who posted here that they used the economy bridge on their MIM Fenders; I see it is offered by allparts as well for $20. Looks to me like a Gotoh clone. If the saddles are too thick for lowest action (sometimes they are, more on a P than a J in my experience), you can sub Fender saddles while still retaining the hevier bridge style.

16. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    Uh, Walter, I know the vintage style has the threading in it, but still there's no slots for the saddle allen screws, so I don't understand how it would eliminate the sliding 'problem'.

Thanks for the replies, guys.
    Think I'll just play the thing for a while.
    I really would like to know what metal the economy is made of, though.
    I emailed guitarpartsresource, but I got no reply. I didn't expect one, either. So there ya go. Even if I DID buy it, why would I order from them when I don't get a reply after 3 days? They say 'within 48 hours' on their site, I believe, which is still a long time. Must be a small M&P place.

17. I have ordered many things from basspartsresource and they are very reliable. They are notoriously bad with their email but, yes, they are a small company.

18. +25 1/2.

19. The idea is, that you can lower the outside edge of the threaded saddle so that pressure from the string forces the sadsdle "inwards" towards the other saddles, thereby keeping them in line.

20. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    Ahh. I understand what you mean, Walter. The ultimate (so far) bridge I have seen has a separate 'bridge' and saddle for each string, which is pretty cool. One of those "Why didn't I think of that". I'd never install one of those on my own Fender, but still, I like the idea.