can anyone shed some light on this wiring?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bernmademebass, Feb 12, 2021.

Tags:
  1. bernmademebass

bernmademebass

Feb 12, 2021
    hi
    if someone could have a glance at this wiring that would be amazing please.
    I picked up an old fender jazz copy and it was very intermittent at first and now has died completely.
    I opened it up and pulled this out. it looks really messy and I've not seen this kind of wiring before
    it looks like there is broken connections and I'm not sure why there a capacitor type thing hanging off the Jack?
    I'm pretty beginnerish but have change pots in the past etc
    does this look worth resoldering and freshening up or is a wreck?
    many thanks

DJ Bebop and EatS1stBassist like this.
  2. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Surprise, AZ
    I don't see any pictures in your post.

Ductapeman and DJ Bebop like this.
  3. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Yeah, no pics are displaying. A J-bass is pretty simple. If you've got one that's been wired poorly its usually best to just redo the whole thing. You can get pre-wired harnesses so you only need to hook up the pickups. Its all pretty affordable too.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  4. bernmademebass

bernmademebass

Feb 12, 2021
    20210213_002038.jpg

DJ Bebop likes this.
  5. bernmademebass

bernmademebass

Feb 12, 2021
    sorry super slow internet speed over here Haha!

DJ Bebop likes this.
  6. bernmademebass

bernmademebass

Feb 12, 2021
    20210213_002025.jpg 20210213_002025.jpg

DJ Bebop likes this.
  7. bernmademebass

bernmademebass

Feb 12, 2021
    20210213_002038.jpg 20210213_002015.jpg 20210213_002010.jpg

DJ Bebop likes this.
  8. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I would just get all new bits and re-wire that. You might be able to reuse those components, you run the risk of pots being scratchy. It's an easy job if you can solder. Here's a diagram:

WDUSS2101__39393.1481759758.jpg

Haroldo, SlowpokeJoe, C Stone and 5 others like this.
  9. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    I think you've got more than one broken connection and also an unconventional circuit. It looks like they probably had the cap connecting signal (at the jack) to the tone pot, instead of having the cap on the ground side of the pot.

Here's a typical jazz diagram:

WDUSS2101__39393.1481759758.jpg

You've got all the right parts there (three pots, a jack, and a cap) so there's nothing stopping you from following the diagram and rewiring it. But I agree with the comments above - it's so cheap and easy to start over with new parts or a complete ready to go harness, that's what I would do, to save the bother of working with used parts.

10. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    Haha posting in unison for the win! We even used the same diagram. :smug:

burgerdj, DJ Bebop, Phaidrus and 3 others like this.
  11. Tone cap is doing nothing. 1 leg isn't even attached.

Follow the diagram and you'll be fine.
    Good luck,
    Dirk

DJ Bebop and Reedt2000 like this.
  12. braud357

braud357 Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Gonzales, LA
    I see several broken connections - follow the diagram and connect the "dots", and you should be ok.

13. bernmademebass

bernmademebass

Feb 12, 2021
    sorry for the delay guys I have 1990s internet connection so bit slow on the replies!
    thanks so much for the speedy responses and help.
    the little green thing (sorry is it a capacitor?) only one leg is attached but is it usually attached to the jack? I've not seen it like that before.
    think I'll unsolder everything, clean the pots and put it back together, just as a lockdown project and if it works I'll then replace the whole lot.
    thanks for the diagrams too!

many many thanks :)

14. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    Yes the green thing is your cap - it does need both legs connected to work. And having it on the jack is unconventional for sure.

15. slagbass

slagbass

Apr 5, 2005
    Canada
    Just following on the above - the capacitor is shown in orange in the diagrams above. As noted previously, follow the diagram and you should be fine.

16. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Just buy a wiring kit from true custom on eBay. Use one of the Schematic you can find by google. Freshen up everything. It really is easy.

17. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    What the right cap value for that circuit?

18. Always a very useful task to learn and handle yourself.

Most all of those look like factory solder, I wouldn't undo those unless you want to start from scratch.

That said the best way would be replace with new pots/cap while you're at it. That way you can be certain
    of the quality of work and parts.

And yeah I've never seen a cap inline with the output.
    It's almost always on your tone control, and usually 1 side soldered to the back of the pot (ground).

Good luck,
    Dirk

19. Phaidrus

Phaidrus

Oct 25, 2009
    About 50nF or 0.05μF most probably. That's what contemporary Pbasses have.

20. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    PA
    there's also "pre-wired" units you just drop in if ya dont want to fiddle around with soldering..tho their a bit pricey imo
    golden-age-pre-wired-harness-for-jazz-bass.jpg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022