Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

can anyone spot what kind of bass this is?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by remo, Feb 28, 2006.

1. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
  2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    yup, tobias would be my guess too.

3. +1

-ryan-

4. I don't think it's a Tobias. Body looks like it could be an MTD though. Around 2:38 you get a glimpse of headstock, blurry but it doesn't look like a Tobias to me. If it were a Tobias it would have to be a Killer B - that's no neck through. Unless you guys think an MTD is a Tobias and we actually agree but are using different names. Of course that's like calling Music Man and G&L Fenders.

5. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

I actually though the headstock looked more tobias, than mtd. I could have sworn that I saw the classic tobias logo on that headstock.

6. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Look right at the 1:31-1:33 spot. And also at 1:51-1:55. You can barely tell, but it looks tobias to me...

7. speaking of G&L, the body almost looked like a mix between an L2000 and an ASAT

8. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
  9. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Looks like a Killer B to me.

10. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

I'm pretty sure its a neck-thru tobias. If you enlarge the pic I posted, you can kind of see the seperation of wood color between the neck and the body wings.

11. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

Eh, I'm just bored at work.

12. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

agreed.

13. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

As long as the boss doesn't know I'm looking at blurry basses, its cool. :smug:

14. i'm going to jump on the tobais vote for this one. i can see where people are get MTD from but that picture posted earlier makes it alot clearer that its a tobais.

15. + 1 on Tobias--

I'm Not really fond of this style of music but the band sounds great. The drummer is killin' and the bass is nice and loud in the mix with great tone.

16. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    yeah I'm not a huge 2pac fan either but the band just rocks it hard! I also dig how the bass player switches from keyboard bass to the bass guitar half way through.. also that dude in the white suit it rockin' it on that voice box thing.. anyone have any idea what that little keyboard is? it's got a tube going to his mouth so I figure it's modeled on a guitar "talkbox"...

17. Pac, Biggie, and Jaco are all chillin' on an island somewhere...

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    What moment? Playing with the late great Roger Troutman? ;) Big picture, dude. Look into it.

19. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    That's Roger Troutman, one of the founding members of Zapp.

20. kalle74

kalle74

Aug 27, 2004
    +1 for tobias, too. Is it me, or does the bass have a maple fingerboard? That would suggest a Renegade offspring, a custom bass of some kind... Despite the blurry image, that bass looks sweet.