Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can Anyone Tell Me about the Schecter Scorpion Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by billb, Oct 18, 2005.

1. billb

billb

Oct 14, 2005
    I am thinking about buying a Schecter Scorpion Bass for use in the metal band I am in. We tune CGCF... which we affectionately call "dropped C". I've heard some varied comments on other 35" scale, 4-string basses by Peavey and ESP. I like that the Scorpion comes tuned BEAD, so it is already made to accomodate wider gauge strings. The problem is that my local stores don't stock it and won't order one unless they can gaurantee a sale. I loved trying out the Schecter Elite-4, but I can't seem to find a Scorpion to try out. I want to make an informed decision before simply buying something I haven't played and heard. Anyone ever played a Schecter Scorpion bass? Pros? Cons? Opinions?

2. billb

billb

Oct 14, 2005
    OK... it's me again. I'm brand new to TB, so I guess I still have to learn more about this community and how it works. But why has no one responded? Is it because it just happens to be a topic no one cares about? Have I simply not waitied long enough for responses to be generated? Have I commited a faux pas unawares? Please help with any input on the Schecter Scorpion. Thanks.

3. You just have to wait until someone that has played one reads this thread.

4. darkblack99

darkblack99 Supporting Member

Looks 'metal' to me ;) ...You might have to road trip to a location that stocks them regularily...Try the dealer finder on their website.

Don't sweat the early 'no reply' vibe...Worry when there are too many, instead.

:D

5. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    graphite reinforcement, emg pickups...looks sweeeeet but i would never trade the high G for the low B...

6. billb

billb

Oct 14, 2005
    So I was in a rush and so I went out and bought one. For one thing, it didn't have adequate room for running your hand up to the high frets (could barely fit in the cutaway section!) Also, I think it was a dud. Three of the strings rang true and clear, but one string had the most terrible tone. I don't know if something was wrong with the nut or bridge piece, but it was unbelievable how drastically different and muffled the tone was from the others. Now I have to return it to GC quick before the 30 day period runs out. I tried different sets of strings, different methods of stringing them/putting them on, but had the same results. Had a professional set up by a tech and everything. I still believe the good things I've heard and seen about Schecter, but perhaps this one had a glitch and shouldn't have made it off the assembly line.

Oh well, I guess I'm off to try out the Peavey Cirrus or that ESP 4-string which has a 35" scale. I'll be searching the forums more and more in an attempt to make more well-informed decisions.

7. Sorry that the scorpion didn't work out for you. You say that you are now looking at a Cirrus. Althought I have not personally played one they do seem to have a great reputation on these boards.

I know if you so a search you will find many threads on these basses. Just a hint do not use this thread to try and get information about another bass. Start a new one with the name of the new bass in the thread.

Good luck with you search for a bass and keep us posted on progress.

Regards

Matthew

8. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    My band tunes D-G-C-F and C-G-C-F.

I have my Fender MIM P-Bass which could do both tunings when I only had one bass.

Now that I have my Warwick Thumb, that is in drop C while my Ibanez 5 string is tuned down a whole step for ADGCF thus taking care of the standard tuning songs...

All you need to do with your existing bass is get a heavier gauge string and do a nice truss rod / intonation adjustment on it.

thicker gauge strings work wonders

My P-bass is now in standard tuning for the blues...

9. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    I had one of those and they have a bland hollow like tone.
    Your better off with a Squier! If your going to go the low B route just get a five string.
    I also had a Schecter Elite 4 which was very good compared to that piece of crap Scorpion. Theres much better out there than that shop around my friend.