can anyone tell me the origin of this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by downunder, Apr 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. downunder

downunder

Aug 25, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I bought it about two years ago from a woman who said it's Italian, that many years ago she bought it from a member of Philadelphia Orchestra who was her teacher at the time. It's an awkward bass to play bc of the size and the cello shoulders, but it has a great jazz sound. The neck has been replaced with an unorthodox scroll graft. Sorry the pics are not great View attachment 2987123 View attachment 2987125

Attached Files:

2. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    downunder likes this.
  3. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    I dunno. OP's bass has high shoulders, but they are more rounded than the Kolstein bass.

4. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Look at the 3 Milanese basses at Barrie's site - they are generally related IMO

5. Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    downunder likes this.
  6. Neil Pye

Neil Pye

Apr 13, 2016
    Horsham, UK
    If I had to guess, I'd say that started life as a BIG 4/4 bass that has since been cut down to make it more playable. What's the stop length? I'm pretty sure it didn't start life that shape

salcott likes this.
  7. downunder

downunder

Aug 25, 2005
    Philadelphia
    it's still a big bass, and not very playable. I doubt if it's been cut down, but you never know. . mensur is 41.5" 105.5cm. The neck has been replaced, though.

8. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    downunder likes this.
  9. downunder

downunder

Aug 25, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Ken just wrote to me said "german, 19th century"

Eric Hochberg likes this.
  10. I can buy into that assessment. The oblique f-holes look Tyrolean, and perhaps it had conventionally sloped shoulders cut down to shorten the neck and string length. (Close-up pics of the purfling around the shoulders might reveal such.) The only thing that doesn't look German to me is the scroll; seems a bit wide/chunky.

downunder likes this.
  11. downunder

downunder

Aug 25, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Scroll is extremely wide imo: 5”!
    The bass has been refinished, Looks like a dark finish was brushed on over the old finish - and the purfling is really hard to see. I don’t think it’s going to show up in pics. I can’t imagine why anybody would cut the shoulders into that shape, though, because they make it so awkward to play in the upper register. Thumb position starts around E on the G string