1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can anyone tell me what is copper is?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by championsleague, Jun 23, 2007.

1. championsleague

championsleague

Dec 20, 2006
    It connects between my bridge PU and my bridge... I have no idea at all. It's my Fender MIJ new bass but this looks...

HELP!!

Thanks. :crying:

Attached Files:

2. Basshole

Basshole Inactive

Jan 28, 2005
    Ground wire for bridge. Leave it, it's there for a reason. It grounds the instrument to your body via the strings, minimizing hum and buzz.

3. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Leo used that form of grounding the strings on the early 60's J's. I believe he went to a drilled hole for the ground strap in '63. That is a classic and acceptable "look," although some players worry about it.

More typically, the copper strap will be parallel to the strings. I'm not sure why yours is somewhat diagonal. You can fix that; but it may worst case require removing the bridge and bridge pup. You may have to de-solder the strap from the ground plate under the pup and resolder it, so that it is directed perpendicularly from the plate. None of that is really hard, but you might be better to ge a tech to help, if you don't feel confident with your shop skills.

Looking at it, your strap is thin enough that you may be able to get away with just removing the bridge and re-directing the strap.

4. What is copper?????
    http://www.desertusa.com/mag98/july/papr/geo_copper.html

hahahahahaha

Actually, the grounding strip on your bass is the old style one as teh guys said earlier. Later models have a hole drilled in the wood under the bridge plate leading to the control cavity - a wire is now run through this hils and terminates in the body surface under the bridge, thereby grounding the strings/bridge.

5. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    wow that is ugly. is that a strip of copper OUTSIDE the bass, outside the finish?

shouldn't he have drilled the wire route from the cavity to the bridge?

6. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Actually that thin diagonal strip is period correct and the thicker parallel ones aren't. They originally appeared on Jazz basses for a few years before the channel was routed under the wood. It was designed that way because the basses were sold with the bridge cover on, hiding the strip, and I doubt Leo Fender foresaw that bassists would remove them and leave them off.

I suppose the AV reissues were done this way to be vintage correct but to not look so sloppy with the diagonal look. Japanese buyers are very fastidious about correct details so maybe Fender Japan decided to do it the right way because of this.

7. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I'm certainly not an expert. However, 8 years ago or so there were a number of actual 60 - 62 vintage Jazz Basses available in the early Internet days at places like Mike's Music and Southworth. I used to scrutinize them. My recollection was that there was no systematic physical dimension for the strips - they were everything from 1/8" up to 1/4" and angled to straight. I have heard folks post categorical statements that the strips were 100% of the thinner variety. However, my recollection is to the contrary. I don't want to provoke a big flame fest, but I seriously doubt this question will ever get answered to anyone's satisfaction. I just think Fender didn't pay all that much attention to either width or orientation. OK, if some TB'er chimes in who owns 12 pre-'63 all original instruments and has something to say, then fine. But, I'll be amazed if the strips all had a 21 degree angle as a manufacturing specification.

BTW, my recollection is that the strips are brass, not copper. My '62 had a guitar solid G string on it when I pulled it out of the pawn shop. That's my actual reference.

8. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    That wasd my understanding as well, different widths were used and there was really no set placement for the grounding wire as it was hidden beneath the ashtray...

9. Mr Venus

Mr Venus Guest

Aug 23, 2005
    He didn't have a clue, did he, that Leo Fender?

10. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Not about that at least. Just cheap (which he's famous for) and ugly.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021