Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can anyone tell me what key Pink Floyd's "The Wall" is in?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Panther, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Panther

Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    Thanks in advance!

2. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I think it's in D.

3. julo

julo

Jan 18, 2005
    Boulder, CO
    i play it tuned D-A-D-G
    so you can throw a low D, during the first verses just before THE riff

4. Panther

Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    Okay,

but that doesn't really tell me which key it's in.

To be more specific, tha gal that sings it that I jam with plays it with the open 'D' actually as 'E' - essentially all the patterns are the exact same, just moved up a whole step.

That said, here are the root notes of how I play it, based on her chords:

Main riff contains: E, D, & B
    Break in the verses:A
    Chorus: G, D

I know that just because that they are all natural notes, doesn't allow me to assume it's in C, or in this case, does it?

I know some will say it's in the key of E, but ththe key of E includes 4# notes if I'm correct, based on the E major scale, including g# and d#...so in turn, the key of E should be eliminated..

5. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    It's in D minor

6. jadesmar

jadesmar

Feb 17, 2003
    Ottawa, ON
    Try E-minor/G-major for your singer.

The song itself is probably D-minor/F-major.

7. bonscottvocals

bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    The Wall is the name of an album, therefore, its keys vary. You are referring to Another Brick in The Wall Part II, which is in the key of Dm. So "Edwcdc" gave you a (mostly) correct answer.

Most people use the Drop-D to get the thundering, sustained D note in the verse, but since you're playing it in Em, there's no reason to tune down. The bassline goes as follows:

D (held for an entire line)
    D-C-D-D-D-A-C
    D-C-D-D-D-A-C
    D-C-D-D-D-A-C
    D-C-D-D-D-A-C...
    G
    D-C-D-D-D-A-C
    F-C
    D-C-D-D-D-A-C...

Throughout the guitar solo, play:
    D-C-D-D-D-A-C...

Just transpose to Em (full step up). The song is in the minor, not the major, so if your guitar player is playing an open E, she's playing it wrong, it's Em. She should play the Em in the 7th position, not open; but that's personal taste.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Isn't that what 5-strings are for?! ;)

9. julo

julo

Jan 18, 2005
    Boulder, CO
    i thought 5 strings were made to play high C and more (am i clear?)

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Nope - the "standard" for 5 strings is with a low B - I've owned many of these and if you go to a good bass shop, you can see hundreds of 5-strings with Low B. (BEADG)

The standard 6-string bass has a high C, as well as Low B. (BEADGC)

11. Yep, definitely Dm. :)

12. Panther

Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    Sorry all-I did mean "Another Brick in the wall Part II" I have an old habit of referring to is as "the Wall"

Anyway, I'll work on my riffs in Eminor.

The reason I asked was because we tend to jam it up a bit toward the end of the song, and I wanted my riffs in key.

I wouldn't have guessed Eminor, but that's because I'm just starting to get back into learning theory.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

13. beaumcrunner

beaumcrunner

Dec 24, 2004
    how do u tune the whole "drop d" thing. i dont know how to tune like this cuz im still a newbie :meh:

14. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Tune your bass the "normal" way. Then "drop" the E string another whole step to D. That leaves the tuning DADG.

15. That doesn't help a n00b much. I remember having the hardest time figuring drop D tuning out.

Tune your bass the normal way (EADG) then go to the seventh fret on your E string and hit it. Then hit the A string. Now, lower the E strings tuning until it matches the A on the seventh fret and, tada, drop D tuning. To double check you can also hit the standard D, tehn your E (now a D) string to make sure it matches.