1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

can anyone tell me what this was? pic heavy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pickle, May 20, 2011.

1. I got a Frankinbass today from my uncle who found it years ago so he decided to repair it. From what i know he said it was an ibenez of some type, it has EMG active pick-ups, a through neck with winged body, purple metalic paint. i know the pick-ups arnt original and apparently are the type where the pre-amp is housed inside the pick-up itself. I especially like the black and pearl knobs.

Im thinking of sorting the pick-ups out as they have wood screws holding them in as the plastic screw holes are broken (any ideas. the units are sealed). I want a new bridge (maybe a black Babicz)

Im looking at spending around £100 as this puppy plays and sounds awesome

Anyway here are the pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So what was it and did i get a good deal for free? lol

2. AgIdoc

AgIdoc

Nov 17, 2008
    Huntsville, TX
    any free bass is a good bass. love the wood screws haha

3. I know, their the first thing to fix lol

4. Looks like an ibanez roadstar

5. I know he has alterd the hedstock if that helps.

Also because the emg pups are in a sealed unit is there any way of repairing the little plastic mounting brackets? they are nice pickups so i dont want to have to replace them if i can.

6. TC2112

TC2112 Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Parke County, Indiana
    I have seen people who have had broken tabs on EMGs take a very fine file and clean up the broken tabs (file flat to the pup body) and shave just a bit from around the original casing, until it fits in a standard passive P bass or J bass cover. Then you could hold them in with proper pickup screws.

7. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    pretty cool looking bass, and an excellent buy for the price.....
    I must say though, the drywall screws gotta go.
    If I am not mistaken EMG's are sealed to the covers with epoxy, so it would be almost impossible to replace the covers without destroying them. IMO, the bass should be worth a new set of pickups. For not a whole lot of cash You could get a EMG set that comes with the wiring harness. They are very easy to install, and I would say are almost turn key.
    When its all said done You could have a cool bass that cost You the price of a set of pickups.

8. TC2112

TC2112 Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Parke County, Indiana
    yeah - they are sealed in the covers, which is why you would file the existing pickup down just enough for it to fit inside another cover

9. Is that possable, would i break the pups? im just worried as replacement emg actives are like £150 a set and thats not small change.

10. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Back to the original question, it was an Ibanez Musician bass to begin with, before the headstock was altered, the pickup routes and control holes filled in, and the whole thing repainted.

11. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Actually not a bad looking bass... wood screws notwithstanding.

12. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Older Ibanez maybe?

13. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Going for a Spector look on the headstock mod, clearly.

14. bearhart74

bearhart74 Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Looks like an Ibanez Musician with a headstock altered to make it look like a Spector.

15. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

The neck thru design pegs it as a Musician not a Roadster. The 2x2 headstock was on both, The Roadster was bolt on though. The body is distictively Ibanez. I am not aware of another Ibby neck through design from that period though I very well could be wrong on that. The battery and back cover match.

Just for background for the OP, the bass is probably early 80's vintage. The Ibby's from that era are very well thought of
    by their owners in terms of quality of build. Ibby had the Fender Japan contract back then, if I recall. Nuff said.

My Roadster had DiMarzio's with off white pickup covers. Odd look, but great sounding pups. Check yours out for a while, you really may not need a replacement. I didn't own this bass long as it way heavier than my Roadster, but I also
    recall it had an ebony fretboard.

The Musician was notably heavier than the Roadster, Roadstar or Blazer models primarily because of the woods used.

The Musician originally looked like this:

attachment.

attachment.

I happen to like the original 2x2 headstock. Not for everyone though.

Attached Files:

16. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    Yep, it's and old Musician with a mutilated headstock. But a little older than the one in Thor's pics. From around 1982 and on, they contoured the front of the body (as well as the back), and had P/J type pickups. Earlier versions had soapbars and no countouring at all on the front of the body (just the belly cut) which is evident in the OP's pics.

What a shame... such a fine instrument... :( (Although that purple is kinda cool... I like that.)

17. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Its a Musician. I had one too. Didn't know they came in purple though. Mine was finished in Pearl. They're great playing basses.

18. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I'm guessing the OP's has been repainted. I could be wrong though.

19. yeah its been re-painted, the reason its been alterd so much is that the person who had it originally cut out allot of body wood to put the p/j in this has been replaced but had to be repainted. I like what has been done with the head to be honest. I think with a new bridge and the pups sorted this could be a really good bass tbh, at least it will be a one off lol

20. With the pickup cover, I'd try cutting the 'ears' off another cover and gluing that to the existing one after filing the problem point flat.