Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can Anyone Tell me What Type of Bass This Was?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Poon, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I recently went on a trip to Guitar Showcase in San Jose, CA and I found a used Bass Guitar there on sale for $1295. I plugged the bass in and it sounded awesome. The wood choice looked exotic, the pickups and electronics were Bartolini and it was a 5 string. Now the only part I forgot about the bass was the company name. It wasn't anything I had heard of before. It was like Garve or Gard or something that started with a G. I was wondering if you guys knew of a company or luthier that has a name similar to this that produces high quality basses. The bass sounded awesome and it had great string spacing. If nobody can help me or direct me to a web-site, I could always just call guitar showcase and ask them. But I'd appreciate your guys help never the less.

-P

2. Maybe it was a JK Lado: http://www.lado-guitars.com/ I remember thinking it was "Gado" because of the way the name was written on the headstock.

3. Motoro

Motoro

Feb 3, 2003
    Ohio
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Did it look like these?

[​IMG]

5. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    This may be a long shot, but, how about Gardner.
    There is a guy from the Sacramento area, Michael
    Gardner who makes guitars and basses.
    There are some of his instruments here: http://www.svlg.org/mbr-inst.htm

6. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
  7. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    That might be it. Can anyone tell me if they are any good?

8. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Well, Considering that a new one direct from Garz is $1750.00 with no options..I would think it might be a good investment. If you like the way it plays, sounds, looks it might be worth it to you.

I have never played one yet but from what I hear about them they are amazing.........Oh, My Garz should be here in a day or 2( and I paid more than $1295.00 for it):cool:

9. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    haven't played any myself, so I can't say if they're good or not. Appear to be well-built though.

See anything that looks like what you saw?
    garz site

10. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    But I think the logo was the same on the headstock. Awesome bass though, reminds me of a Warwick, minus the intense neck-dive and the tree branch of a neck. Overall well built. Thanks guys.

-P