Can anyone tell me what type of cab this is?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Corbis, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    I've bought this from my guitar teacher 3 years ago. I paid $150 (I had also JUST started playing) He wasn't sure on the brand of cab but I know it has a Peavy Blackwidow in it.

The story behind it was he was in LA around the 80s and he bought this from a guy who bought it from one of Micheal Jacksons bass players. I doubted that was true at the time and I still do, But don't worry that wasn't at all a factor in the price or me wanting to buy it.

I was just wondering if anyone knows what type of cab this is.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Looks homemade. I doubt it has a "brand".

What's it sound like? Looks like a sub meant for a biamp system . . . but who knows?
  3. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    It's a Subwoofer from the Bat Mobile.
  4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I second the sub idea...I've seen cabs of that design lining dancefloors at clubs.
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Who cares what it looks like or who made it, how's it sound?!
  6. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    That thing looks huge and like it weighs a ton. I hope it sounds good.
  7. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    The sound doesn't fit my tastes, its really bass heavy with no definition. Right now its just in my bedroom for low volume self improvement and its been there for awhile.

I was just curious to what type it was since I've never seen another so far.

The whole sub thing would make a lot of since in hindsight. :eek: :eek:
  8. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I used to have one, and used to see them around alot in LA in the 80's.
    I used to see them load with EV's and JBLs.

I'm no tech wiz but I'll tell you what I know or was told.

the Carlson was designed to be a small portable reflex/folded horn design. The idea is you get the "throw" and projection of a horn loaded enclosure, while still getting some of the punch and the sound of a standard speaker cabinet.

This cabinet definitly works. I suspect however that you may have a diffferent speaker than a Peavey Black widow in there though. It looks like a K-140 JBL from the front. I could be wrong, especially if you already yanked the driver and looked. Matter of fact it has a removable panel probably on the bottom.

If your not sure, pull the cover and snap a pic of the driver and re-post.

I used a single 12 cabinet on top for mids and highs with a GK800RB head. It was good. It may be a collectors item one day. Hold on to it.
  9. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    Thanks a bunch tonenazi! If I get a chance tommorrow I'll remove the bottom and take a picture.

The cab wasn't in the best of conditions when I bought it, and I'm sure I wasn't any kinder to it. So I think maybe the collectiveness :D wouldn't be very high.
  10. interesting looking cab...
  11. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    i recall seeing pics of stanley clark in the guitar handbook with a stack of two of those with a plexiglass half-dome on top covered with 2 inch speakers years ago.
  12. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Karlson is how it's spelled. I suspect the driver is Altec judging by the small dome; most JBL domes are four inches across. Despite the look it's not a horn, it's a dual chamber series tuned 6th order reflex, which is a bandpass design, explaining the lack of presence. The design has a cult following, and as far as 1950's speaker technology was concerned it worked pretty well, but in the mainstream loudspeaker community it's considered the equivalent of an Edsel.